Are all timing pointers for a 5.0 the same?

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
Guys this may sound totally stupid but the original motor I picked up for the swap way back when, had a cracked block so I had pulled a bunch of parts off of it so I could just get a new block and build it. It was from an 88 lincoln.

I then found the 91 motor complete for way less than a build would cost. I pulled all the "stuff" off the new motor to power clean and paint it. When I went to put the motor together with the new C/H/I (basically all new uppper components) I just grabbed the cleanest timing pointer and installed it. :shrug:

I was not even thinking that they might be different. With the weird timing issues I am having I am wondering if it could be that simple?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure of the exact nature of the parts you have, but in general, yes the location of the timing pointer does vary, over the years and from application to application.

Its best to verify when you have the heads off or timing cover off, exactly where tdc for no 1 is located.

Thanks. I had TDC set when I put the cam in, but just never thought about the pointer as being a possible issue until I could hear my dad in my head saying "the most simple explanation is usually a good place to start".

I will see if I can find the other pointer in the spart parts box to see if they are the same. If not... Plan B... find a 91 5.0 Mustang pointer????

I found the other timing pointer LATE LATE last night in... of course the last possible box in storage. They are identical. I screwed a pressure tester into the #1 plug hole and hand turned the motor. TDC occured at 10* BTDC. I should be fine there.

I have an extensive checklist that a fellow forum member supplied and I will just have to work my way thru it this weekend. Got to get the Vert running good soon... so I can enjoy the summer in Ford muscle style.

You could make your own pointer and locate it where ever you wanted. You could have it on the drivers side if you wanted, just get some timing tape. One question comes to mind though, are you using an old stock balancer? The stock balancers are known to have the outer ring slip allowing unwanted harmonics and difficulty in setting timing.