Are the rear Cobra brake kits worth the money?

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt it would be worth the extra money. You'd mainly be paying for looks. Now if you have a decent aftermarket suspension where the car stays level during braking, it may be more worth your money as all the weight won't be thrown to the front. For a stock mustang I'd say spend it on something else but if you have good shocks/struts/springs and the brake dive is relatively low, it may be worth it. I still wouldnt stress it however.

YES!!!

Our factory brakes are only marginally better than the fox brakes. I did the front bullitt brake upgrade first, and that made all the difference in the world. I later switched the rears out as well, and that made a major difference as well.

Brakes are more important than suspension when it comes to handling, imo...

I'm running the Bullit PBR calipers upfront and stock brakes out back w. hawk pads and slotted rotors on all corner and the cars stops somewhat better the my friends stock cobra

Killer95Stang said:
YES!!!

Our factory brakes are only marginally better than the fox brakes. I did the front bullitt brake upgrade first, and that made all the difference in the world. I later switched the rears out as well, and that made a major difference as well.

Brakes are more important than suspension when it comes to handling, imo...

hey, when you switched out the rears to the bigger rotors on the cobra setup, were there any issues??? I'm going to do that upgrade next if there were no issues.. tx !

jetuomi said:
I am wondering the same but was told that the calipers don't directly bolt on to the rear.. there is some modifcation required, anyone have any idea about what it is specifically?

I believe that to convert to cobra spec rear brakes, you need the rotors, pads (thinner), taller axle-to-caliper mount bracket, and anti-moan bracket. The caliper is the same. You also need to grind the caliper-to-caliper mount bracket out to account for the thicker rotor.

Rick

They're were no major issues... Like said above... you need new rotors (got those for free), mounting brackets, new anti moan brackets (cut mine, and welded in extra material), and thinner pads... since I bought the bullitt rear calipers, they came with the pads...

DavidF said:
If you look in the Ford Motorsport catalogue they have a kit that has everything you need to convert over to a cobra rear, less the calipers. For $185.00

I was thinking on going with the Front and rear brake kit from http://www.diskbrakesrus.com/make/ford/mustanggtff.htm

Now if I get this kit will i still have to buy mounting brackets and new anti moan brackets? Also will I still have to grind the caliper-to-caliper mount bracket out to account for the thicker rotor?

deadly97snake said:
I was thinking on going with the Front and rear brake kit from http://www.diskbrakesrus.com/make/ford/mustanggtff.htm

Now if I get this kit will i still have to buy mounting brackets and new anti moan brackets? Also will I still have to grind the caliper-to-caliper mount bracket out to account for the thicker rotor?

I think the diskbrakesrus kit comes only with axle mounting bracket. So youll have to get everything else and grind the caliper bracket.

DavidF said:
I think the diskbrakesrus kit comes only with axle mounting bracket. So youll have to get everything else and grind the caliper bracket.

Ok so what your saying is I have to buy some new anti moan brackets, but it comes with the mounting brackets. Also I have to grind the Caliper Bracket. Where can I buy the new anti moan brackets?

deadly97snake said:
The Title says it all. I want to go with the PBR cobra brakes for the front and I was wondering if I should shell out the extra money for the rears. I know they look good but do you really feel any difference?

I just did the front brakes with the master cylinder (FRPP kit), night-and-day difference in braking. I don't think I'll need to do the rears, I'm happy with the current set-up...

In short I DON'T THINK they're worth the MONEY

But ya gotta love the front brakes!

cobrafront1.jpg

Stock brakes

cobrafront4.jpg

Cobra 13"

They 'feel' as good as they look

There is a convertable that I see in the parking lot all of the time. It has some nice saleen 18" wheels, but they look bad because the brakes are stock. The rears look especially empty.

With 17" wheels, I don't know, but 18's look bad with the stock brakes.

As far as stopping is concerned, it's probably fine, but if the master cylinder creates a mismatch between the front and rear, you will either increase your stopping distance because your fronts do all of the work, or worse, spin if your rears lock up before your fronts.

Since the calliper is the same, it probably can't be thrown off much, but test it in a safe and controlled area before you trust it on the street.

DavidF said:
If you look in the Ford Motorsport catalogue they have a kit that has everything you need to convert over to a cobra rear, less the calipers. For $185.00

I looked in my FRPP 2003 catalog and couldn't find this. Could you provide a part number or page number? Perhaps it's new and just came out in the 2004 catalog, or discontinued from an older catalog?

Rick