Backfiring after head swap...........

• Sponsors (?)

I just had the same exact problem. Mine was out of time, got it timed and it still acted this way. Then i talked to trick flow and i had the wrong rocker arms, made it run better but still not well. Came to find out a vaccum fitting on the underside of the explorer intake was hitting my valve covers so i had a 1/4 of an inch gap between the upper and lower intake and now it runs great. But yeah i would check your timing and see if it is correct.

mbsprinks281 said:
Have fuel pressure, have spark. When I try and turn it over it backfire through the intake, and wont start. I guess Ill have to crank her manually back to top dead center and drop the dizzy back in again.....
Thats what I would try first.

Yep, check your firing order to make sure it is correct. If that is correct try spinning your distributor clockwise a little bit at a time to see if it will hold idle.

mustangramair- I had a similar occurance for mine except I tightened just enough to break an ear off my upper intake because the pcv two way valve was sitting on top of the valve cover when I went to tighten it down...unneeded stress to say the least:bang: