Bad Panel Gaps and Wavy Fiberglass Hood: Repaint Silver Blue or Caspian Blu

pekoe1111

Apr 17, 2002
I am about to repaint my 66 convertible which I bought a month ago. It is resale red with a white top and black interior (go figure). It also has a fiberglass hood with Shelby scoop and Shelby side scoops. Thanks to all who have offered advice so far.

I will spend about $1,000 at Maaco (please spare the jabs - This is all I can afford and they did a great job on another car for me) to change the color and remove the side scoops. Here's my challenge: the fiberglass hood is a bit wavy and the tailight panel in pushed in slightly at the gas cap. Also, the panels gaps are not great, with the widest at whee the side of the trunk meets the rear qtr. And the back and bottom edges of passenger door.

I want to paint it Caspian Blue to hide the panels gaps with a dark color but am afraid the hood and tailight panel will look lousy. I would consider Silver Blue but am concerned the gaps will look lousy. Understanding that this is all about compromises, would you choose:

(a) Silver Blue and live with panel gaps more visible; or

(b) Caspian Blue with wavy panels more visible.

I just gotta get rid of the red...

• Sponsors (?)

I had mine painted caspian blue and love it. I wouldn't have it any other way. Both colors will look great though.

There is nothing wrong with red, but crappy resale red sucks. My car was originally twilight turquoise and some fool painted it a half as red. Man that looked like crap when I got it. It would have looked better with the faded turquoise.

Keep in mind that the panel gaps on these cars wasn't the greatest even when new.

The crime is the red actually is a good paint job - I just don't like red. I had a Caspian Blue '65 with white top about 6 years ago that regret selling (big surprise here). Once deciding to get another, I vowed to replicate the color combo. The Silver Blue is striking, but my panel gaps are likely worse than the panels themselves so I am concerned about it looking like crap with such a light color. Whoever put the car back together created wide and uneven gaps...

I am about to repaint my 66 convertible which I bought a month ago. It is resale red with a white top and black interior (go figure). It also has a fiberglass hood with Shelby scoop and Shelby side scoops. Thanks to all who have offered advice so far.

I will spend about $1,000 at Maaco (please spare the jabs - This is all I can afford and they did a great job on another car for me) to change the color and remove the side scoops. Here's my challenge: the fiberglass hood is a bit wavy and the tailight panel in pushed in slightly at the gas cap. Also, the panels gaps are not great, with the widest at whee the side of the trunk meets the rear qtr. And the back and bottom edges of passenger door.

I want to paint it Caspian Blue to hide the panels gaps with a dark color but am afraid the hood and tailight panel will look lousy. I would consider Silver Blue but am concerned the gaps will look lousy. Understanding that this is all about compromises, would you choose:

(a) Silver Blue and live with panel gaps more visible; or

(b) Caspian Blue with wavy panels more visible.

I just gotta get rid of the red...

Go for the silver blue, you can adjust gaps but not waves.

And I have a Corvette that was once painted by Earl Scheib, and that paint job lasted 22 years.

The crime is the red actually is a good paint job -................

Your lucky then, you want that actually.

Your next paint job over the old one is only as good as what's underneath your new paint.

If a cheap paint job was done without sanding and primer and then repainted over that with the best of paints its still only as good as the cheap job as far as peeling, flaking etc... .

If anyone was wondering is there a cheap way to paint thats durable, yes there is.
I used an oil base Valspar truck and tractor paint on my truck (about $50.00 for 1 gallon of paint, reducer and hardner), I used black.

30 days later I shot it with a urethane clear, two coats without any pre sanding and its going on two years and doing fine. Thats with two hot summers and two harsh winters. It's my daily driver, custom.

As said straighten out what you can first, better two large matching gaps than one massive one. Paint won't hide much.