Before it was a car, what did the word 'Camaro' mean?

• Sponsors (?)

Poneypower-
I figured I would get pure BS answers, and was ok with that.
Good response.

I may be way off, but I think I remember this correctly.
Weren't the original founders of Chevrolet a couple of French brothers who raced for Ford? Ford did something that pissed them off, so they started their own car company to continue racing
???

I heard this as a story from a Professor in college, if I was paying attention...
If this is correct, then finding a random French word for a new vehicle would make a little more sense...

jason

I heard a similar story from one of my professors, except it involved the Dodge brothers. Paraphrasing quite a bit:

The Dodge brothers owned 10% of Ford Motor Corp. in the nineteen teens and also supplied engine components and chassis, etc. Henry Ford planned on building a huge new manufacturing plant and the Dodge brothers apparently disagreed, and they sued him in court. They won in court, but got bought out by Henry Ford and his son. Later on, the Dodge brothers went on to form the Dodge/Chrysler corp.

Info from this article: http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2002/2/2002_2_40.shtml

I heard a similar story from one of my professors, except it involved the Dodge brothers. Paraphrasing quite a bit:

The Dodge brothers owned 10% of Ford Motor Corp. in the nineteen teens and also supplied engine components and chassis, etc. Henry Ford planned on building a huge new manufacturing plant and the Dodge brothers apparently disagreed, and they sued him in court. They won in court, but got bought out by Henry Ford and his son. Later on, the Dodge brothers went on to form the Dodge/Chrysler corp.

Info from this article: http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2002/2/2002_2_40.shtml

Man, maybe I confused Chevrolet with Dodge :owned:

If not, then it looks like Ford was really good at pissing of his original partners. :nice:

read an article on it.. it means what pony power said at one point.. but then it can also mean "Small fish like creature" I like this one i heard, simply because it makes the mighty camaro sound like a gold fish lol

Camaro is a derivation of the Slavic 'Cama' meaning "sucks" and the Japanese 'ro' meaning "wang". It is a multifaceted word with many uses. It can be used as a noun, or even a verb. For example, as a noun---"Look at the mullet on that dude that just got out of that Camaro." Or a verb "Excuse me, where is the restroom? I am about to Camaro my pants." The Camaro has also been used by police for criminal profiling in their war against methamphetamines. They have a specialized checklist--white dude, check; mullet, check; rusty brown 6 cylinder camaro, check; It is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Camaro is a derivation of the Slavic 'Cama' meaning "sucks" and the Japanese 'ro' meaning "wang". It is a multifaceted word with many uses. It can be used as a noun, or even a verb. For example, as a noun---"Look at the mullet on that dude that just got out of that Camaro." Or a verb "Excuse me, where is the restroom? I am about to Camaro my pants." The Camaro has also been used by police for criminal profiling in their war against methamphetamines. They have a specialized checklist--white dude, check; mullet, check; rusty brown 6 cylinder camaro, check; It is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Possibly the funniest post I have ever read!:hail2: :lol:

I have never understood why GM picks so many forien names for thier cars. Even then, those forieners are probally thinking "WTF?" because what it means doesn't make sence. I think Dodge names it's cars the best.... Challenger, Charger, Duster, good muscle car names. Ford never really named thier full size truck, the F150, that is just a model number, which is typical of European vehicles with the series letter then and model number.