Best Exhaust setup

94gtslow

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Temple,Texas
I am looking for a new exhaust setup.

Whats the best one, and the one that flows the most?

And which one sounds the best.

Currently I have Mac P-headers, and a bbk offroad h-pipe with flows and 3 inch tips.

I was looking at slp, borla, magnoflows, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

You may get lots of opinions. So I'll be the first. I have Mac 1-5/8th equal length headers, flowmasters H-pipe (no cats) and Flowmasters 2 chamber mufflers and Dynomax polished tailpipes. Most peeps do not like Flows because of the drone. Me there's nothing better, besides with stereo I can't hear anyways. I've had this set since about 1995 not too long after purchasing the car. No car on the road sounds anywhere comparable to Flows. You know a Mustang with Flows from far away. Always get compliments on sound of Mustang. Peeps want to know how to get a car to sound like it - all I can say is you have to get a Mustang and Flowmasters. Oh, the cam helps to. A guy on here name DonJohn has an exhaust soundclip website. Do a search on here and get his site. This will give you real world sound of different setups.

Note: I've heard others on the road and they sound sweet but I don't know the setup.

One more thing to note: I'm willing to bet that the folks who do not like the exhaust Drone have a Million Watt Stereo System in the car. How Ironic uhhhh.:D

Peace

Most people are going to just tell you to get what they have. With that said, I have BBK LTs, a Dr. Gas offroad x pipe, and a Dynomax Ultraflow stainless catback. Sounds a lot different from the usual h-pipe/flows combo (which isnt a bad sound by any means). Still drones a little bit on the highway, but its nothing bad. Above 4k it screams. A lot of people say its the best sounding Mustang they've heard.

The best flowing exhaust setup (which was one of your questions) would probably be straight pipes off the heads - not headers, straight pipes. That would yeild the least restriction. Of course your ears, neighbors, and the police would find that setup to be, well less than ideal.

IMHO, exhaust is a matter of preference. You can get some (minimal) power gains by going with one option over another. But unless your are building a bracket racer, you should focus on what sounds nice to you.

That said, I like my BBK LT/mid pipe and Am. Thunder cat back. It got a little too loud for my taste with the HCI (especially the C part of the HCI), so I put in the quieter series mufflers.

I have no mufflers wiht side exits. Sounds great and screams like all hell is breaking loose when I get on it. You lose some low RPM tourqe but make up for it after 2000RPM

Holik95 said:
I have Mac unequal length shortys, Mac o/r X-pipe, and Mac cat-back and everybody always say how they love the sound of it.
We have similar set-ups. For me: Mac shorties, aftermarket catted H and Mac catback. I LOVE the sound.

I have an O/R and FM 2-chambers on the fox - I dont like it as much, but it can cause a commotion when I get on it (not a bad thing ;) ).

The thing is (that someone addressed) that we can take a system (headers to tips) and intall it on someone's car. It sounds great. Now we put it on another car and it doesnt sound as good. Not to mention different tastes.

Al is right-on about checking Chris's website for clips.

Good luck.

The best exhaust IMHO has a 5.0 in front of it... If you want it to sound mean get rid of the cats or high flow cats at least... pretty much anything will have a 'mean' sound to it... I have mac shorties, no cats, mac h pipe and flows... sounds great...

The only car I think sounds better than mine is my best friends. He has Bassani long tubes and Bassani off road x-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters and turn downs. However, if you're not running a blower or nitrous or just have rediculous low end torque to give up you may want to stick with equal length short tube headers. Also, no offense to you MAC guys but I have installed plenty of 5.0 exhaust and I don't ever remember a set of MAC headers that fit perfectly.

95strokerPSU said:
A thing to consider, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that at idle long tubes will be quiter than short tubes, but when you stand on it, the long tubes will be louder. (This all considering everything after the headers is the same)
I think it would be the other way around cause they have more room to "echo" in long tubes. Im just basing that off a guess though.