Best LEGAL mid-pipe in Cali

2k3GT said:
I've got a few questions for those of you with answers...

I live in Los Angeles, and every time I read about how bad we get shafted on the legality of aftermarket parts, I get pissed. Everything from tint, front plates, smog, etc... anyways...

Since every aftermarket exhaust piece will fail either the sniffer or the visual portion of California's tight-assed smog test (or so I've read in this thread):

1) Wouldn't it be more sensible for me to just buy an O/R X (cheaper, better gains, sexier) and switch it on and off with the factory when smog time rolls around?

2) Seeing as I don't have any tools to work with, nor a level surface to work on (I live in the Santa Monica foothills), and none of my friends owns/works at a place with a lift, how much would it cost me to have someone do it for me, and then switch it back?

3) Would getting the MIL eliminators for my O/R X mess me up for when I put the stock midpipe back on for the smog check?

Thanks in advance fellas... We should talk to Arnie about this ****...

P.S. Do any of you So. Cali/LA guys know of a good domestic/stang shop with some experience? All I can find around here are ricer/import tuners...

First things first.....If you get the o/r pipe and you get pulled over and if he decides to take a peek under your car and NOT see any CATS...your toast. I can't give you an exact figure, but I know it's between 1,000 and 2,000 bucks. So you have to ask yourself...Is it worth it?

I just decided today it's not. Second, you more than likely will NOT find a shop that will install an o/r pipe. Every shop I have talked to won't even install the Bassani or Magnaflow catted pipes because they are still NOT CARB approved. Wit the MILs I have never heard of them messing anything up. I have heard of them failing, but not messing anything up.

On the last topic.....Arnold may be Mr. Hollywood...but he won't get rid of the CARB act because it makes the state money, and the state needs money.

Hope this helps

• Sponsors (?)

MachOut said:
I hear that.. Not to get off topic, but it seems like every single problem we face here in S.Cal when it comes to high cost of living, overpopulation, housing costs, gangs, crime, traffic, smog etc etc can be traced to the MILLIONS of illegal immigrants we have living here.

Don't get me started on the reason we have high housing costs here either.. They always said California belonged to Mexico, well after the 70's, 80's and early 90's of them swarming in and pooling 4-5 families together to buy a 3 bedroom house, it nearly is.

true that mach

MachOut said:
Don't get me started on the reason we have high housing costs here either.. They always said California belonged to Mexico, well after the 70's, 80's and early 90's of them swarming in and pooling 4-5 families together to buy a 3 bedroom house, it nearly is.

Yes, we have an illegal immigration problem here. However, illegal immigrants aren't the ones buying houses. Simple economics... Extremely low interest rates and an unstable stock market combined with quickly appreciating real estate caused by over-demand drives people to invest in real assets. I hope you don't blindly blame immigrants for that problem. It's the affluent folks with excess cash and/or excess equity that are causing that problem...

yeah, i'd run a catted one just in case the cops decide to peek underneath. unless they know mustangs they wont know how many cats we're supposed to have (and god knows they cant memorize that for every car).

and if they do know mustangs because they own one, they'll probaby let you off. cops seem to have the most illegal vehicles out there.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
Sounds almost like a crap shoot, you may get lucky with a Smog shop that isnt that concerned about it. What i want to know is how often do you have to get it smogged, isnt it once every two years? I have owned mine for a year and a half now. :shrug:

The first test in Calif. isn't required until the car is 3 or 4 years old and then every 2 years after that.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
I am pretty much sold on the Dr. Gas o/r X for me. have you heard of folks welding up gutted cats?

How far do you plan to modify? The incremental difference in power between a high-performance catted X-pipe and the offroad version on your current setup will be very minor (e.g., less than 5 HP). Also, you'll likely loose some torque. I would suggest getting the catted version to avoid any stiff penalties. A Catted X might be able to pass a smog check so long as the inspector isn't an anal freak. Get the HP back via a timing adjuster or some other minor mod.

The risk involved in gaining a couple HP isn't worth it to me...

Yeah i was thinking about that too normster. there is a high risk with doing what i want to do. DO NOT want to get no 1,500 fine, ecspecially for the N/A gains i would get by going full offroad X.

However I do plan on doing alot. Ill bust it out for you here. gonna try to keep it short.

Phase I -Bolt on's

What i have in my sig now, the bolt on's chip, flows, gears, pulleys, shifter, K&N. Getting the gears and flows installed in 3 weeks

Phase II- Suspension

Maximum Motorsports full-length subs, 4-bolt CC's, Bilstein shocks and struts, maybe Strut Tower Brace, maybe Brembo front brake upgrade

Phase III- Supercharger :banana: :banana:

Then would probably be the best time to slap on the Dr. Gas o/r X, maybe even American Thunder. The car will be a garage toy by this point.

SonicBlue2v03GT said:
Yeah i was thinking about that too normster. there is a high risk with doing what i want to do. DO NOT want to get no 1,500 fine, ecspecially for the N/A gains i would get by going full offroad X.

However I do plan on doing alot. Ill bust it out for you here. gonna try to keep it short.

Phase I -Bolt on's

What i have in my sig now, the bolt on's chip, flows, gears, pulleys, shifter, K&N. Getting the gears and flows installed in 3 weeks

Phase II- Suspension

Maximum Motorsports full-length subs, 4-bolt CC's, Bilstein shocks and struts, maybe Strut Tower Brace, maybe Brembo front brake upgrade

Phase III- Supercharger :banana: :banana:

Then would probably be the best time to slap on the Dr. Gas o/r X, maybe even American Thunder. The car will be a garage toy by this point.

Looks like we have very similar goals... I would check the archives both here and at corral.net for posts comparing HP and torque of catted and offroad midpipes to see what the difference will be based on blower vs. na setups. You may find that the difference is marginal. However, I'm not sure...

Good luck!

Norm

p.s.
Just saw your pictures. Sweet ride!

p.p.s.
Don't forget to add rims to Phase II since the stock torque thrusts won't clear the brembos...

Thanks alot for the info Norm. :nice: And thanks for the props about the pics. I'll add to that cardomain page when i get a chance. Im mainly using it so folks here can see my car if they wanted.

I will definitely be doing some research on the mid-pipes, and thats a pisser about the Brembo's. I was thinking about getting some 18" bullitts down the road anyways, with those fat 10.5 inch rims so i can slap on those 315 meats out the back.

I will feel better with those beefy a** tires when i have 400 rwhp. also, MM upper and lower c/a's too :D