Beware! Comp Cam problems.

bigbadjim

May 4, 2003
Regina, Sk
I bought a comp cam Extreme energy camshaft. I installed it in my mustang. Went through the proper break in. I put cam lube on lifters and lobes. 2000rpm for 15-20 minutes. Changed oil after a couple miles... Bla, bla,bla! Anyways after 14 miles I started to have some rocker chatter. I thought my rockers needed adjusting, but instead it was the lifters. They were worn down between 1/8" -1/4" on the bottoms. The part that rides on the cam lobes. Some even had holes right into the lifter. Obviously the cam lobes are worn bad, also the bores in which the lifters move in are scratched badly and the lifters are all toast!

What a crock! I talked to a few different guys this weekend and found 4 other guys that have had the same thing happen with their comp cam. One guy was even on his 3rd cam in 1 year. Why even bother!

Comp cams explanation! "Improper break-in."

Anyone else have this problem? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of people are having problems with flat tappet cams as the modern engine oils have a lot less zinc in them than they used to and zinc is important when you are breaking in a cam.General Motors sells an additive called General Motors Engine Oil Supplement or GM EOS that is very popular for breaking in cams as it has a high level of zinc in it.They sell it at the GM dealerships for about $6-7 a can.My last couple of cams have been Crane ones and I haven't had any problems.

Mine was the XE-294H Blaaaaaa!

I've been searching around on different forums about "Comp Cams"
Sounds like they have a lot of issues with their camshafts. :notnice:
I guess I should have searched around before buying one... :shrug:

Comp does seem to be having some issues. They ground my custom cam that I bought through Buddy Rawls, he checks over every camshaft to verify all the timing events before he sends it to the customer and with the first one he got from comp, the exhaust lobe was not closing the exhaust valve at all (it was keeping it open about 0.010" at all times). He sent it back to comp and their regular engineering department said there was nothing wrong with it (apparently they only check valve events down to 0.020" of lift) so he had the race engineering division check it since they are a bit more thorough. They determined the master lobe that they use in production was worn out, who knows how many off the shelf cams they turned out with that same worn out master lobe?
My best advice would be to buy a cam from a custom grinder so they can verify that all's well with the cam before you install it.

No multi weight oils period! Use Valvoline Racing oil 40 or 50 wt my preference.
150 # seat max and 400 # open max pressures after the cam has lapped in with the lifters.
prime the oiling system before installing the pushrods in the motor.(Very important because even with assembly lube it will scuff with out doing this)
Don't get any paint over spray in the lifter bores when assembling the eng.(You will not believe how common this is so dont laugh).
The bottom line is,in my honest opinion,the quality of the current lifter bodies avail are not up to par,even with the closest tolerences of a re-machined lifter,I have still seen some fail. The manufacturing process of pulling carbon to the bottom of the bottom is not fool proof.There are some great quality lifters up and coming and I look forward to happier days.

Some good info. :canada: Thanks Ian!

bigbadjim said:
I bought a comp cam Extreme energy camshaft. I installed it in my mustang. Went through the proper break in. I put cam lube on lifters and lobes. 2000rpm for 15-20 minutes. Changed oil after a couple miles... Bla, bla,bla! Anyways after 14 miles I started to have some rocker chatter. I thought my rockers needed adjusting, but instead it was the lifters. They were worn down between 1/8" -1/4" on the bottoms. The part that rides on the cam lobes. Some even had holes right into the lifter. Obviously the cam lobes are worn bad, also the bores in which the lifters move in are scratched badly and the lifters are all toast!

What a crock! I talked to a few different guys this weekend and found 4 other guys that have had the same thing happen with their comp cam. One guy was even on his 3rd cam in 1 year. Why even bother!

Comp cams explanation! "Improper break-in."

Anyone else have this problem? :shrug:

kind of sounds like wrong valve-train geometry? What valve springs do you have?

SPEED FREAK said:
Serious?????? Sweet! That should wake that pig up! :nice:

I don't know what extra horse it will add but I'm sure it will add some mad torque. I'm thinking long term with this one. I want to make sure the motor is done right before I slap the blower on. 20lb's of boost here I come!