Beware of eBay Alternators!!!

UnderdogGN

May 7, 2006
Just saying be leary of ebay alternator kits. I bought a 3G kit and everything looked good and shipped quick. Installed no problem, but the alternator went out after 10 minutes of driving! Then there was a conflict between the seller and I, and now im out money and I have to get the alternator rebuilt.
Be careful!

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't steer away from ebay altogether, but I shy away from generic items that could pose a problem, like alternators. I have purchased plenty of other items from ebay with great success.

Sorry to hear about the alternator.

I'm not saying stay away either just beware. I have purchsed tons of stuff from ebay but I won't buy alternators and stuff like that. It's buyer beware on ebay and I've notice that some companies are voiding warranties and parts bought on ebay like MAC to name one. I'm selactive on what I buy from ebay and the deals aren't what they used be like years ago.

Yea, i guess i could still use ebay, but with more caution. This was a quality kit, and even came with an alternator test sheet, but who knows where and what brand it really is. I tried to save a bit of money on a less expensive kit, and this is what happens. You get what you pay for. :nonono:

Yea, i guess i could still use ebay, but with more caution. This was a quality kit, and even came with an alternator test sheet, but who knows where and what brand it really is. I tried to save a bit of money on a less expensive kit, and this is what happens. You get what you pay for. :nonono:

don't know if this helps but these guys ahve great alts and kits + lifetime waranty and come in chrome + colors.

http://www.pa-performance.com/Scripts/default.asp

great to deal with.

also late model restoration is a dealer. best of luck.

Yea, ive heard PA is good quality stuff. The ebayer claimed the alternator was from the same place that PA gets their stuff, but i seriously doubt it. It doesnt look the same as the PA one and there are no tags or numbers or anything on mine, its gereric.

i bought a high output 6G (large case) 180amp from a guy for 200 on ebay, it was a little steep but it seems to be real quality stuff plus it comes with every wire/fuse/etc you need. Ill have a write up thread when it gets here. I saw the kits that went for 100 bucks on ebay as well and thought them too good to be true so i just spent some decent money