Black out tail light.

3111812_12_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Here are mine... Probaly 3 solid coats of transparent black, 1 coat clear.

Did them in a hurry, right one came out smoother but unless you are right up on it you cannot tell.

I also masked the reverse light off, I like how it came out.
wow i musta put it on really thick .. this is my car with 3 REALLY thick coats! and 3 coats of clear... i spent about 6 hours on em doing prep sanding.. then paint wetsanding, rubbing compound, polishing compound, waxed them a buncha times these things look like glass..

these were euro lights that were on when i bought the car:notnice: (dealership put em on)

0301071409.jpg

but like i said, i almost get hit about once every 2 weeks from how dark they are.

note: i was playing around with temp paint that day and those are my winter wheels

I pulled a half day at work - went to Lowes and bought the Gila Glare tint. Did my headlights in about 30 minutes total using 1 piece. Didn't use two pieces. For the guy that tried to use 2 pieces - try using just one and follow the curvature of the bottom of the headlight. Then trace around the bottom of the headlight with a razor blade. After that, start trimming the sides. The top is the last part to be trimmed. It will crinkle/overlap in 1 area towards bend /angle at the top of the headlight. At this area, use a razor to cut a "V" section out of the top to eliminate the crinkle/fold thingy. The best way to do this is to pinch the fold so it sticks straight up, then razor it from the surface of the headlight. This will leave virtually no seam if done correctly. I bought the "Gila Tint Install Kit" - they had it at O'Reillys here in town. Hopefully this stuff doesn't peel. It is pretty thin and would be potentially easy to remove - they also sell a spray to help with removal. I will do the taillights tomorrow - same strategy of using a single piece per light and using the razor to cut overlapping/creasing areas. I will put up pics tomorrow.

Hey thanks for the tips bro! :nice:
So I'm not the only one who has found that using this tint works very well - woohoo! I couldn't imagine painting em. :notnice:

Here are mine... Probaly 3 solid coats of transparent black, 1 coat clear.

Did them in a hurry, right one came out smoother but unless you are right up on it you cannot tell.

I also masked the reverse light off, I like how it came out.
wow i musta put it on really thick .. this is my car with 3 REALLY thick coats! and 3 coats of clear... i spent about 6 hours on em doing prep sanding.. then paint wetsanding, rubbing compound, polishing compound, waxed them a buncha times these things look like glass..

these were euro lights that were on when i bought the car:notnice: (dealership put em on)

0301071409.jpg

but like i said, i almost get hit about once every 2 weeks from how dark they are.

note: i was playing around with temp paint that day and those are my winter wheels

Dang man, you did put alot into it.

I just cleaned the lights off real well and spray away, lol. I made sure the coats were kind of thin, I had the lights on my Jeep really dark like yours and experienced the same problem with other vehicles not seeing them too well.

Sorry it took so long for the pics I could nt find my camera cable. This is one coat of Gloss Black Spray paint no sanding. They are very dark. The light is noticeable during the day obviously its not going to be 100% and at night there are no problems. I have been pulled over with these lights in but neither of the times had the cop even mentioned. I got pulled over in Colorado and in Wyoming btw.

100_0013.jpg

100_0012.jpg

Sorry it took so long for the pics I could nt find my camera cable. This is one coat of Gloss Black Spray paint no sanding. They are very dark. The light is noticeable during the day obviously its not going to be 100% and at night there are no problems. I have been pulled over with these lights in but neither of the times had the cop even mentioned. I got pulled over in Colorado and in Wyoming btw.

100_0013.jpg

100_0012.jpg

:nice::nice:

I used some transparent black spray paint, and a little bit of clear coat. I bought them from a local hobby shop.

I know you can buy Niteshades paint, its specifically made for tinting lights.

The trick is to have a VERY clean surface, spray evenly, and let dry between coats.

You can also buy tint strips to do the same thing, if you arent comfortable with painting them.

How is that paint and clear holding up to mother nature?

Ummm...the Gen2 SN-95 also has curved tail lights...:shrug::rolleyes: I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make. Have you ever tried to tint 'em with film?

many of us have and to no avail....your lights are MUCH flatter than ours are. And yours are in 3 sections, ours are 1 large section. I used spray tint that they usually use on model cars.

many of us have and to no avail....your lights are MUCH flatter than ours are. And yours are in 3 sections, ours are 1 large section. I used spray tint that they usually use on model cars.

Gotcha - thanks for the clarification...I just went out onto Google Images and reminded myself how much the Gen1 taillights curve - you are so right! :nice: