Bleeding my power steering is not working

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I recently put my car back together. The power steering pump was taken off as well as the steering rack. The steering on the car was super tight after this. I started the car a bunch of times and then read that I have to jack the car up and turn the wheel back and forth. Yesterday I did that. I took the cap off of the power sterring pump. I could see alot of big bubbles coming out of the pump. I must of turn the wheels back and forth 40 times. I kept seeing big bubbles. Put the car back down and now the steering feels more tight. Any suggestions? Did I do this right of do I have to keep bleeding it?

• Sponsors (?)

The way that usually works for me specially for our ford pumps is when I turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and just keep it there, that's when the pump works the hardest.

Do you have good pressure? And I'm not sure if this is gonna help at all, but I had heard a million times that friction modifier help a lot too. I tried it on my car, and the only difference I feel/hear is that there is a lot less whining from the pump.

The pump has to be turning while you turn the wheels back and forth. But you don't want to run it as fast as when it's running. So here's what you do:

Jack the front end up
Top up the reservoir
Turn the key to run, FLOOR THE GAS AND HOLD IT. Don't release the gas. This triggers "clear flood" mode and the fuel pump won't run, so the car won't start.
Turn the key to "start" and crank it for several seconds as you gently move the wheel from end to end.
Release the key, release the gas
Top up the reservoir
Lather, rinse, repeat.

You don't want to hold the wheel full lock in either direction while the pump is running.