Blew my intake apart last night

Just checking to see if anyone has any tips I should be looking for while changing. I've had it off before, heck I had the whole engine out and apart. Just wonding if theres any damage that might not be obvious well taking it off. I think I'm just going with a another stocker, I'm making plenty of power with it and I like the price.

The details are, last run of the night with 150 wet NX shot (very built engine) it backfired on the 3-4 shift around the 1000' mark. It blew a hose of the plenum and the air filter was just laying in behind the baffle (FIPK) and the bottom of the intake is in lots of pieces. I think the it might have to do with the window switch settings and powershifting the car. It just when boom, and no more power. The bummer is looking at the numbers I think it would have been my 1st 10 sec pass. Guy I was running ran an 11.02 and I was ahead of him when it broke, oh well next time.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the money, get a typhoon or whatever it's called (metal one) ... I know it's kinda un-justifiable due the fact that it does not help performance but it would work better with the gas I would think. :shrug:

That really sucks, I bet it was loud. :(

Do you have any pics of what it looks like? Just curious.

I'll post pics as soon as I remove it. I thought about that intake, but the whole China thing bothers me, I'm considering a Reichert but I still do street drive it once and a while. I think since we just started building a new house I'll cheap out and stick with plastic, besides its good to have a weak point:rlaugh:

if you had the money to even look at the Reichert you could do a bullit intake.

they do preform better and are nice an streetable. you could afford the p51 as well.

my .02 if you stay plastic go used and save some money as they not that durable.

If it were me, i'd just stick with the stocker for now. It's a pretty good manifold, altho it's plastic. I haven't seen any decent priced aftermarket manifolds getting good enough gains to switch from, honestly.

I know the Bullitt, P51 and Riechard Racing intakes are great intakes but the prices on the things (last time I checked) were pretty high.. altho it might be a nice bit of insurance for spraying :nice:

Gearbanger 101 said:
Yet another reason why I like the direct port systems over the wet ones. :nice:
:flag: :hail2: :drool:

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=08100NOS

large08100NOS.jpg

02dragGT said:
I'll post pics as soon as I remove it. I thought about that intake, but the whole China thing bothers me, I'm considering a Reichert but I still do street drive it once and a while. I think since we just started building a new house I'll cheap out and stick with plastic, besides its good to have a weak point:rlaugh:

don't forget HP Motorsports. They make a metal lower now too! :nice:

HPmotorsports.com

Well here it is, really not as bad as I thought it would be.

intake2wc.jpg

Anwsering a couple questions, I dont have a rev limiter anymore, Window switch was set at 6200, shift light at 6150 figuring some reaction time spray should be off, guess I got a little close. I looked at NOS direct port but went with the NX, not really sure why just liked it better I guess. I've been spraying regularly for almost 2 years and use about 12lb's a night. I race at least a couple times a month, so I guess I was due. Normally I go with a 125 shot but the car was hooking like crazy (1.50 60') and I got greedy looking for a 10 second pass. Guess I'll back down to 125 and toss in a set of 4.10's (currently running 3.73's)

Thanks for all the input I be checking all those intakes out in the next day or two, The bummer is with the new house being built I really cant spare the cash right now.

Attachments

• intake2wc.jpg
    intake2wc.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 92
I would prolly look into a typhoon if I was running gas. I know it doesnt show any improvement, but you would have to dbl the money for a bullit and it doesnt show that big of a gain. the typhoon would be strong enough to withstand the gas and that's what he needs. for half the cost of the bullit.

wont a backfire destroy a cast/tubular manifold just as easily?

id look into why it backfired(which its mostly obvious, pooling+heat=bang), and fix that. get a direct port if you want to run that much nitrous.

besides, it looks like you run often, id like to believe spending 1400$ on a direct port will be better in the longrun than cheaping out early and blowing some manifolds and costing more in the end.

Gearbanger 101 said:
FYI....as long as your fuel system is up to snuff, you've got nothing to worry about with the direct port set up. The same can't be said for the wet systems.

In theory yes......but in real life the direct port set-ups don't work that well on the 4.6 2-valve. Due to the nozzle placement , spark blow-out is a real problem making tuning a bitch. Also you have many small jets that can clog as well as a maze of lines with fitting that are prone to leak. Plus I don't see any direct port 2-valve cars running as well as the NX single shark nozzle or their plate system. Please tell us of your personal experiance with the direct port systems.......or are you just repeating internet myths?:nono:

Jay

Easy there JayC, Gearbanger is a Ford tech AND a power adder expert... Instead of trying to prove how smart you are try listening to him instead, you might learn something :nice: