Bodywork and Paint Progress Thread!

• Sponsors (?)

illwood said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I realize that you're trying to minimize the amount of panels that you're going to have to paint, but by masking off the area like that, you're more likely to notice the fix by the hard lines at the paint mis-match. I figure that you're probably buying paint matched to the color code of the vehicle, but '95 has had 11 years to fade to a slightly different shade.

If you don't feather and blend the new paint into the old, you're going to notice the fix. The next best thing to painting the whole car is to do whole panels. The seams between panels help to mask the fact that they can be a few shades off.

He can always get a paint shop to get a scanner and match the paint that's on there, if he so chooses. That is how we do it at my place.
Scott

60 grit....:eek: I wouldn't even touch the car with that stuff...

I used nothing lower than 180 to start....60 grit is way to hardcore...I would keep that to the smallest area possible if you choose to use it...remember, the more scratches you put on, it's 4 times harder to get em out....

RIO5.0 said:
60 grit....:eek: I wouldn't even touch the car with that stuff...

I used nothing lower than 180 to start....60 grit is way to hardcore...I would keep that to the smallest area possible if you choose to use it...remember, the more scratches you put on, it's 4 times harder to get em out....
this is true i guess, but my dad said use 60 grit, and it worked well...i mean, he used it on his chevelle, and the car is gorgeous....i also used red lead putty to fill all the sanding lines....i think its gonna turn out ok....it feels REALLY smooth right now, so i have faith:nice:

thanks guys...little change in plans but its a good change! my buddy just bought a 2000 jetta vr6, but hasn't sold his other car yet, so i get to use it for the week and start doin my tranny a little early!! i got the tranny drained, exhaust out, and driveshaft out last night, and the tranny should be coming out tonite! this gives me a bit more time to do the body work which is good cause i want it to look amazing!

good going bud!! great progress wish i could help ya but im afriad youll have her painted before i would be free. alan should be installing the motor any day now. this summer should be good

ProKiller said:
looking really good. and tell your dad that is an awesome mustache.
HAHAHAHA oh man....some of my friends have said he slightly resembles luigi from the mario bros...

UPDATE: i am rebuilding my tranny at the same time im doing all this body work...what a ****in week this is gonna be! today im taking out my flywheel and taking it to be resurfaced, and sanding out all the red lead and priming over it....then the body work will essentially be done except for the final light sanding.....

then tonight im finishing tearing down the shafts that i took outta the trans last night, and hoping to get it reassembled tonight....if the weather is decent tomorrow, i REALLY wanna get the trans back in, but its probably gonna rain...:(

BIG UPDATE!!: Today i drove down to Jay's (blk9450 here on SN) house to start ripping the car down for paint. His brother is painting the car for me in their big ass garage.

Starting to wet sand with 400...

DSCN1215.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

Fully wetsanded with new fender installed...

DSCN1218.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

Panels ready for primer...

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

I recieved my new fender from FedEx today, and about an hour into tearing the car down, i decided to open the wrapping on the fender which i shoulda done when the FedEx guy was here. Well, the fender had a HUGE crease on the top about 8" long that luckily we popped most of out, and filled with bondo, but i was so ****in pissed off.

DSCN1208.jpg

And heres a little teaser so you keep visiting this thread over the next 3 days....

DSCN1214.jpg

:hail2: :hail2: :hail2: :SNSign:

Attachments

• DSCN1215.jpg
    DSCN1215.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1216.jpg
    DSCN1216.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1217.jpg
    DSCN1217.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN1218.jpg
    DSCN1218.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1219.jpg
    DSCN1219.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1220.jpg
    DSCN1220.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN1221.jpg
    DSCN1221.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN1208.jpg
    DSCN1208.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1214.jpg
    DSCN1214.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 70
its almost time!!!! about 3 and a half years ago, i did an entire body/paint job in a single WEEKEND!! :eek: the car turned out awesome, and nobody can believe that we did it in 2 days.....

bigcat said:
its almost time!!!! about 3 and a half years ago, i did an entire body/paint job in a single WEEKEND!! :eek: the car turned out awesome, and nobody can believe that we did it in 2 days.....
yep...this will have been done in a single weekend also...i mean, i did some sport fillings here and there but the major part will be completed in a weekend:nice:

stprorolla49 said:

How did you get the pillar trim off? The trim that goes over the door and down the front pillar? I tried to get mine off once, but I only found one nut under the roof liner. Are there more hiding on the front pillar, or do they just snap in & out?

Attachments

• DSCN1218.jpg
    DSCN1218.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 74
Tell your buddy in the backround of the new fender install to tighten his belt! :p GREAT JOB man... how bout i drive down there and he paints my notch? :D... As you kno i need paint, BAD. Good work, keep it up.

OT: 69Clark, i saw your car in the mag.. SICK article, again, good work and good luck!