Brake Light On Dash Dont Come On

maxxedout

Sep 10, 2014
Got a 99 GT Convert. I have no power to the OD switch on the T handle and no power to the ebrake switch. I have checked all the fuses under dash and under the hood , any ideas where else to check

• Sponsors (?)

Check the ground behind the center console. It's shared by multiple devices including the radio. It's frequently messed up during a radio install.

Exactly which wires to the OD switch do not have power? LB/RD is for the illumination. As such should only have power when the parking lights are on.

If no key on power to the WH/LB wire, then check fuse F2.28.

Does the brake lamp come on during the initial key on cluster lamp test?

Does the brake lamp come on if the master cylinder float is pushed down all the way to the bottom?

Check the ground behind the center console. It's shared by multiple devices including the radio. It's frequently messed up during a radio install.

Exactly which wires to the OD switch do not have power? LB/RD is for the illumination. As such should only have power when the parking lights are on.

If no key on power to the WH/LB wire, then check fuse F2.28.

Does the brake lamp come on during the initial key on cluster lamp test?

Does the brake lamp come on if the master cylinder float is pushed down all the way to the bottom?

No power to the two wires that go to the push button on the stick . Have checked to see if all is pulled in and tight , no problem there, ground looks and feels tight. I checked all fuses once I wlil check again when I get home. Thanks

Ok. If you have just measured the power between the to the 2 wires going directly to the transmission control switch (TCS), then you haven't really tested for power. Why? Because the TN/WH wire is the return wire back to the PCM and is NOT a ground. The test for power needs to be between the WH/LG wire a known good ground with the key on.

I don't really believe that it's truly possible to test a ground by just "looking at it". If you really want to know it will be necessary to perform an Ohm test back to battery negative or a voltage test between the device ground and battery ground. A low voltage indicates the ground is good.