CAI - JLT Vs C&L and octane question

UrbanRedneck

Mar 27, 2008
I will be buying a CAI/tune in a week or two. Looking at them on Brenspeed, I came up with a question. The C&L is $100 more than the JLT CAI. It looks a little cooler, but other than that is there a performance benefit to it to make it worth the extra $100? I don't particularly care about the look, so if the JLT makes just as much power, that may be my choice.

Also, I don't know what type of tune I want. Does anyone know how much power difference you can expect between a 93 octane tune and an 89 octane tune? If it is only like 1 horsepower, I'll just run 89, but if it's like 10, I'll run 93. I was thinking about maybe getting one for 89 and one for 93 and trying them both.

Lastly, what is the difference between a regular tune and a "race tune"? I assume they go more agressive on the race tune for more power, but is there a reason not to use it on an everyday car?

• Sponsors (?)

Any reason for going with Brenspeed? Check out VMPTuning.com. Just writes amazing tunes and sells the C&L. It's possible he might be able to hook you up for a package deal. Get the C&L CAI with 88mm maf tube and a 93 octane performance tune. Brenspeed manipulates throttle "feel" within the tune to make these different tunes. It's not a bad thing but you're not going to actually see different numbers on the dyno with them.

So the only difference is how the throttle responce feels, not the actual performance?

I was going with brennspeed just because I've bought other parts from them and am really happy with their service, and like how they will update any tune for free if you buy parts from them. Plus they have good reviews around the web.

Most tuners will do updates for tunes. I gotcha though. I didn't mean the actual throttle response. The throttle response should feel the same with every tune unless it's a gas mileage tune or something. It's more than that though. It's a matter of manipulating some values in the actual creation of the tune to make the car feel different under power. It's hard to explain but that's the best I can do.

I think it makes sense though. :p:p

I just spent some time looking at VMPTuning, Brenspeed, and Bamachips and now I am even more confused. They all say different power gains for each intake and all have different names for all their tunes, I guess this will be a difficult decision lol.

So is there a reason to choose C&L over JLT? And what makes the C&L Racer race-only? It is cheaper than the street, and it isn't like a carburetor, so I don't see why you couldn't use it for any application (too much air flow won't hurt).

Now, different places say everywhere from 10 to 40 horsepower gains from a CAI/tune. Realistically, what can I expect to gain at the WHEELS, with a CAI and an 89 or 93 octane tune?

VMP 93 octane performance tune and C&L Racer but with a 88mm maf tube got me 290 rwhp and 302 rwtq with heavy 20s as well. The C&L Racer is a little bit too big for a pretty much stock motor, that's why I say get the 88mm maf tube with it.

I figured since the mailorder tunes are made fromd yno tunes of other cars, they can't be too much worse than a real dyno tune.. So is it safe to say taht I can expect 25+ rwhp gain if I use a 93 octane tune?

Well for performance gains, the JLT CAI & Tune has been the best for RWHP numbers. The C&L Street is a better quality CAI than the JLT but does not perform as well. The C&L Racer is a plastic better breathing version of the Street. The C&L Street is metal tubing. The C&L Racer is very close to the performance of the JLT.

Personally, I have a JLT on my car( It was a gift ), I had a Steeda and C&L Racer one. If I was to purchase one, it would be the C&L Racer. I was going to do a comparison of the 3 compared to the stock airbox on my car but never got around to it.

I don't know about the JLT being better than the C&L. There have been many tests done including some testing on my own car. C&L Street and JLT performed closely. C&L Racer with 88mm maf tube performed better than both and better than the 90+ mm maf tube that comes with the Racer. :nice:

I figured since the mailorder tunes are made fromd yno tunes of other cars, they can't be too much worse than a real dyno tune.. So is it safe to say taht I can expect 25+ rwhp gain if I use a 93 octane tune?

Yes, that'd be safe to say. It'd be close to 30 rwhp though.

I read that article. It is kind of confusing. For one, it uses a baseline number with the HC filter removed. My car does not have that filter (it's an 08), so would my stock power output match their HC-trap-removed baseline, meaning 06+ cars actually have a little more power than 05s? In taht case, then their results are still relevant.

Also, though, it mentions some of them with a tune, some don't mention whether tuned or not. But it also doesn't say if they were tested with the tune that is mentioned in the beginning, or with the stock tune. They're dyno results reflect HP gains over the stock baseline, for example, the JLT picked up 27 horsepower over the baseline of 261. Is this JUST with the CAI, or is it with their base tune, or is it with a JLT specific tune? In any case, I guess that means that I could expect a 27 horsepower incrase with a JLT and tune?

According to that, the JLT makes most power, but C&L is real close. So I guess that means it just comes down to personal preference/looks, huh? If that is it, I'd probably save my $100 and get the JLT.

But, Thumper, how much did DMP charge you for the C&L Racer with the street MAF tube? I would say I am between the racer and the JLT, as they are priced close, both are plastic, and both perform real close.

Pending the answer to that question, I think I am leaning more towards the JLT. Then I just have to decide on tunes. Right now, I am thinking I will get an 89 performance tune, for my usual day to day life. A 93 performance tune, for when I go racing or feel like running 93, and either a 93 race tune, or 89 gas milage tune. Then again, since the difference is really only a couple bucks, I may wind up always running the 93 anyway... Then that leaves my final decision: VMP, Brenspeed, or Bama.... Everyone has something good to say about each one, and they are all priced about the same... SO many decisions!

How significant is the ass-dyno gain from this? Everone says the extra power and reduced drive by wire lag makes a world of difference. The car already feels awesome to me, so I guess it will go from awesome to totally kick ass?

One alst question. If I buy a CAI/tune next week, then decide to get an offroad pipe, will I need a retune, or is that an insignificant enough mod that I will be ok?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all the information!

One alst question. If I buy a CAI/tune next week, then decide to get an offroad pipe, will I need a retune, or is that an insignificant enough mod that I will be ok?

I asked Doug from Bamachips this exact same question on the phone last week after I ordered my X-Cal. He said that he automatically turns off the stuff needed for the off-road pipes when he configures them, because that is the most common thing done after getting a tune. And he said if you don't have an off-road pipe, it will not harm anything.