Cam swap....cant get Romac off!!!!

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
How the heck do you get the freaking balancer off. I rented the tool for it and I snapped one of the 2 bolts that bolt into the crank pulley bolt holes. The other bolt bent and the bolthead is galled. I was able to get the broken one out of the balancer luckily...but yea why the heck isnt it coming out....I shouldent be snapping the bolts. Why the heck is it so tight? I hear there a biach to install and I found directions for that but how to get it off? I'm getting frustrated:bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

oh yea....it's off alright. Theres gotta be some technique for this...cuz there so hard to put on. I'll try and call DSS on monday to see if they have any ideas. If I dont have it off by then. But yea someones gotta know how to get this ****er off.:mad:

Yes,Yes..everything is off...I didnt see any grade markings on the remover pulley bolts. Maybe Ill try and get some more grade 8 stuff tomorrow. But yea I put a breaker bar on the center remover bolt and I thought I was making progress...turns out I was just necking/snapping the two smaller outer ones. I was turning it with at leas 100ft-lbs of force prolly more. That HB hasen't moved a mm from where it was. Makes me wonder why there was a crankshaft bolt there in the first place..it clearly isn't needed.:p

could I try heating the balancer with a propane torch? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Get some good grade 8 bolts for the hb puller

Lube the center bolt up good

Apply heat as evenly as you can

There is no reason they have to make those hb's that tight :nono:

Good Luck :)

btw ... use some anti seize on the crank snout going back together ;)

Grady

Make sure that you tighten all the 'remover' bolts evenly and center your big back-out stud that you turn to loosen it.

After removing the 15/16" harmonic balancer bolt, you need to remove the big washer from it and screw the balancer bolt in about half way. Not all the way in.

Remember lefty loosy, righty tighty...

I'm curious to why it isn't coming off:shrug:

Again, the crank bolt and washer are out...I put the outer bolts in finger tight and I'm glad I did otherwise I wouldent have been able to get that one snapped bolt out. Has anyone seen a plus sign shaped HB puller...you know so you could attach 4 outer bolts instead of just 2. I'll get some new bolts and ask at the autoparts store if there are other styles of pullers. Any other suggestions...I'll get pics of the two bolts tomorrow.

I just spoke to DSS and they said heating with propane is ok...but also that I may have a chitty HB puller (its a $15 autozone rental tool). They told me to get a good one or atleats put some good bolts on this one heat it a bit and it should come off ok.