Can i suggest a sticky? FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Ok....it used to be that people would ask all the same questions over and over, and i never understood why some people got agitated by it. Obviously there's always someone new to this hobby and that's awesome...really. If not for that then it would really be a crappy forum. But lately it seems like i'm seeing why people get tired of the repetitive posts.

For those of us who have been around for a few years, it does get tiring seeing the exact same questions asked on a weekly basis, in pretty much 5.0 Talk and Tech, and even though we're all here to help, after you've answered a question 10 times, it's likely that you just won't bother and that doesn't help the new folks at all. Since nobody seems to ever use the search function, does anyone think that a Frequently Asked Questions sticky at the top of the page would help to weed out these over asked questions?

'Cause i swear if i see another hp estimate or 1 chamber flows thread, i'm gonna crack :rlaugh:

This would be a great way for everyone to contribute....hell we could even make the thread nothing but links to threads where the questions have been asked and answered in detail, that way it's organized and easy to navigate.

The fact is, the search function starts to suck when you've got as many members as we have....i've tried to search for threads that i myself have made and couldn't even find them and i know what they were called! Most times you type in a specific phrase and it just leads you to frustration, which is why people just take the easy way and just post the question.

I don't like to compare forums so i won't mention the other site (no it's not corral) but another forum i go to actually has a tech section that is pretty much what i'm describing, but it's locked and only the mods can post there and people create a tech article and request the mods to post it. This keeps things REALLY organized and neat. Jrichker is well known for posting some amazing tech info...he alone could be a huge help to this idea.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Take a look at the sticky at the top of the tech forum. It's labeled "Useful Technical Thread Index". That is what that is for. All that is required is that you send me the URL for the tech thread so that I can add it to the list.

Now... as for the "Guess My HP" threads... yes... I'm as sick of them as you all are. I have half a mind to start deleting them all but instead, just move them to talk. They are a totally arbitrary question. What I think might be a good idea is for folks to start sending me their engine combos and dyno sheets. I can make a thread out of them and catalog the pieces and parts along with the dynos.

Only dyno sheets would be accepted. I won't accept any SOTP dynos as most of those are inversely proportional to either age or experience (add 25 HP for every year under the age of 30 for example). lol

hey do you know if my rims will fit my car? the size is blah blah and the backspace is blah blah.....

A wheel, tire and axle offset chart would be a killer idea! Add some graphics to it to show what offset and backspacing are and how they affect clearance. Then you would have a great tech note.

A wheel, tire and axle offset chart would be a killer idea! Add some graphics to it to show what offset and backspacing are and how they affect clearance. Then you would have a great tech note.

+1 for seeing what i was saying, it drives me crazy that everyother day a new guy comes in and ask if his 98 cobra r's will fit. Something eles was thinking was we should have 5 lug convertsion sticky for pre 87 cars cuz the jobs for the cars are totaly differnt cuz the pre 87 cars have was is the same as 87 up 4 banger brakes...

Before this goes into effect, can someone seriously guess my HP? :D

I believe, I like Daggar's idea with cataloging the pieces and parts along with the dynos. It would be a good resource for some to get an idea. :nice:

A good sticky i'd like to see is one about doing the twin turbo on the 5.o, both efi and carb'd, stuff like....

what cars to get the turbos from
what cars to get intercoolers from
so on

See guys that's what i'm talkin about....there's enough experience in this forum to really build something useful for everyone....maybe it'll get over looked more than not but hey, i know i would use it. I can't count how many times i've read good tech in here only to lose the link or something and dread that never ending search through the search function.

The engine combo spread sheet thing is an awesome idea if people will just contribute and keep it growing. Also stuff like wheel offset charts and engine swap articles...the kind of stuff that gets post after post after post. I don't think we can do much about the "picture of X car with X wheels on it" threads, but just with everything else weeded out it should get a lot smoother around here.

See guys that's what i'm talkin about....there's enough experience in this forum to really build something useful for everyone....maybe it'll get over looked more than not but hey, i know i would use it. I can't count how many times i've read good tech in here only to lose the link or something and dread that never ending search through the search function.

The engine combo spread sheet thing is an awesome idea if people will just contribute and keep it growing. Also stuff like wheel offset charts and engine swap articles...the kind of stuff that gets post after post after post. I don't think we can do much about the "picture of X car with X wheels on it" threads, but just with everything else weeded out it should get a lot smoother around here.

I think if a thread was started by someone who could edit it and what not we could make a thread with pics of the most common rims on cars, like have pics of each body tipe with lets say tri-bars, then cobra r's, then ponys so on. Maybe some of the guys who are good at photo shop can do it? just an idea.

I realy like the idea of the engie spread sheet, having stuff for the 302, roller and not, carb'd and efi, this cam that cam this head that head so on.....:SNSign: