Car runs for a minute then dies...

BlownGT92

Founding Member
Apr 7, 2002
Des Moines
I recently purchased a 69 mustang with a 351C in it. The car has been sitting and hasn't run in three years. A new battery was installed and it fired right up but ran for a minute then died. Figured the gas went bad, so I drained all the gas out of the tank and replaced it with fresh as well as pulled the Edelbrock carb and cleaned it. It has a edelbrock fuel filter on it as well and pulled it and checked for sediment (which it was clean) and reassembled everything. The car will start and run holding the throttle about 1500 rpm and after 45 seconds to a minute just sputter and die. It did run smoother with the fresh gas. Once it dies it won't fire back up unless I spray some starting fluid in the carb but then it runs rough and unresponsive and dies. The fuel pump was new 4 years ago, could it have gone bad from sitting? Any ideas on what else it could be? The car has a msd ingition system and it is getting plenty of spark...

• Sponsors (?)

you could very well have a bad fuel pump, but first check the rubber fuel line at the tank. a friend of mine and i just went through this with an olds delta 88 where the rubber line at the tank was shot. once that was replaced the fuel flowed freely through the filter to the carb.