carb vs fuel injection

82CapriRS

Dec 3, 2004
New Jersey
for all you guys im asking this question about taking the fuel injection off a ractory fuel injected car to throw a nice carb on it. so even though i like a nice carb instead of fuel injection on a car like ours i want to just hear everyones opinion, pros vs cons. we all know fuel injection is good for gas milage an tuning for example but i think ALOT of people think that going carbed is just a rediculous idea and it just hurts resale on a foxbody. i really dont agree with this. unless i have tons of money to throw around on a really nice setup and huge turbo and every little detail i think carbed is a good idea. but id like to hear everyones thoughts about this. i mean its proven that carb makes very good power and is not used anymore because of emissions and gas milage. but who is to say you cant get this from using a carb? i mean everyone likes or believes different things but whats the facts. theres an a$$ for every seat i think and i cant believe that its just no good. if that were the case why does anyone make carbs anymore, if fuel injection is just soo great why doesnt everyone have it? its like askin why is the sky blue? i dont think theres a wrong or right with this subject but thats my opinion. anyways, enough ranting. help me out here guys

my friend bought a 4cyl hatch an plans to go carb'd on it. you guys think it will hurt the resale? i dont know how this would be possible but im putting it out there.

• Sponsors (?)

Well... the sky is blue due to aerosols in the atmosphere interacting with shortwave solar radiation, causing mie scattering in the blue visible light wavelength. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I don't think a good quality, well thought out carbed build on a fox should hurt resale at this day. Fuel injection is simply more efficient, as the AF ratio can be optimized at all RPM under all operating conditions. With carbs, there is always some give and take, regardless of how much tuning is done. Does this mean carbs suck? No, they are just not the most efficient today, not the best "bang" for your "eco-buck". They can still make good power, which is why they are still widely used, just not on the street where gas mileage and controlled emissions have priority. I say, for your goals, build a nice streetable carb engine, theres a seat for every ass like you say, and its clear you like your carbs :nice:

Are you planning on carbing the 4 cyl, or swapping a carbed 302? If you are carbing the 4, you may want to consider whether or not it's worth the investment.

I like EFI because its easy to work with. Granted I am only 22 and don't know everything about carbs, EFI is simple cause if you know how the system works, you can easily find the problem, and you have the DTC's to also guide you in the right direction. Plus it is what is on all cars today so you can use your diagnostics for all your vehicles besides just the Mustang. Carbs are gone, you will never see one on a new car in todays world. Maybe a atv or some other recreational vehicle, but that is about it. Ya they may be easier to work on since a lot of people grew up with them, but they are a dying technology, and are being outdated with new, better systems..

I like EFI because its easy to work with. ..

Really what does it take to make your efi car run. Computer, injectors, sensors, multiple vaccum lines. Trouble shooting an efi system on yor EFI fox body compared to trouble shooting my carb setup. Ill take mine anyday. Carbs arent used on new cars because they arent fuel efficient or smog efficient. IMO carbed cars run harder than fuel injected cars. FWIW if they were such a dying breed why do they still make improvements on them and drag racers still use them to this day. I think your a little biased and dont know that much about carb applications.

I bought my 92LX with a carb. I guess if you really cost it out item by item a carb will get you there cheaper even with the top of the line carb. If you looking at WOT power like in a strip car a carb is a simple choice.

On the other hand EFI with the ECM is much more street friendly and fuel efficient, the ECM is making adjustments based off atmosphere and adding and pulling timing based on throttle position and other parameters, which you lose the timing part of it when you go to a carb.

I don’t daily drive my car and can feel it is a little rich cruising at 45 and lower in fifth gear. I am running a Quick Fuel Pro Series that is made for the track. I have cleaned some of that up with the programmable MSD 6al timing curve based on RPM and will most likely add a MAP sensor to add or pull timing that is integrated into the MSD.

I have kicked around the idea of going back to EFI, but think that if I do it would not be an OEM system it would be aftermarket like Mega Squirt. The OEM EFI and supporting components are approaching 20 years old give or take. I have seen a lot of guys and gals on the forum pulling their hair out with various problems, and it will only get worse as age progresses.

What I wonder is if you could take a late model mustang and pull all the EFI and various components and put them in a fox push rod motor. That would be a unique project but a BIG PITA.

Scott

For a mild street car, a carb is always gonna hurt the resale value, whether its a 4cyl conversion or not. when someone pops the hood and sees a carb versus fuel injection they are gonna want the fuel injection for ease of ownership. Fuel injected and carbed cars are a wash, my buddy with a malibu has had more issues with his "simple" carb setup then i have had with my EFI setup. I love EFI, in the last 7 years of ownership the only sensors ive had to replace were the o2's and the IAT sensor. Never replaced the IAC, TPS, the factory ford stuff works well and lasts for a long time

In every aspect, EFI is technologically superior to carburetor. /thread

The real reasons you still see carbs in race cars are 1. Some race classes require carbs, 2. Some racers do not yet have the resources (technology, finances) to properly build/tune a MAX performance EFI system, and 3. People are slow to change.

I could go into a long winded argument to support my statement, but if you look into it, some of the fastest cars in the world use EFI.

The thing about carb, though, is that sometimes it is easier and cheaper to build/tune a carb setup for a shade tree mechanic.

the 4 cyl car is goin to v8 roller motor with gt40p's. i think having a carb'd fox some people would back out but i dont see it hurting valley. technically our cars arent worth crap if you check nada or blue book, even if its mint. i think theres to many variables to say it will hurt resale and carb vs fuel injection has an will be an argument because of so many people who are bias. i took my fuel injection off because it was nothing but problems, ran like S**T and i have not had any problems with it running bad since the carb swap with different weather, or problems starting it wether its cold or not. i dont even have a choke and it starts everyday as it is my daily driver. these are the reasons i have givin carb alot of credit, i believe on the ride to myrtle that the 2 carb'd cars were runnin good while the 2 fuel injected cars werent running so perfect. no one is right, no one is wrong. it is all about what you know better.

Really what does it take to make your efi car run. Computer, injectors, sensors, multiple vaccum lines. Trouble shooting an efi system on yor EFI fox body compared to trouble shooting my carb setup. Ill take mine anyday. Carbs arent used on new cars because they arent fuel efficient or smog efficient. IMO carbed cars run harder than fuel injected cars. FWIW if they were such a dying breed why do they still make improvements on them and drag racers still use them to this day. I think your a little biased and dont know that much about carb applications.

I was taught based on efi, that was what was taught at school. I never said carbs were bad, I just prefer Efi. Its easy to work with if you know how the system works.

My two cents worth...

Once again, why?
Carbs are great for the track and make good power. For a strip only N/A car, they are hard to beat. Step on the pedal and flush - it's a gasoline toilet!

EFI RULES on the street for a car that is driven in all kinds of weather, up and down mountains and gets great gas mileage. EFI will make just as much power as a carb and be easier to drive on the street. If isn't hard to tune if you know what you are doing.

There isn't a carb made without computer assist that can do all those things as well as EFI can. The only possible exception would be the IDA or DCOE Webers which cost major $$$ - like $3000 for 4 each IDA 48's and a manifold.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst: ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...ne in an emissions regulated are, it will be.

As usual jrichker has given us something to think about. The efi being able to recalibrate automaticaly is a good point.

yes it is. i like the simplicty of being carb'd and being able to tune it myself without hundreds of dollars of software and whatnot though. but as always, jrichker is the man, is there anything you dont know?!? lol