Carburator issue base not flat. :(

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Stockton, Ca
I sold a carb to a fellow member a while back when I shipped it. The carb was brand new in the box never had no intake time nada good as neew as from Holley.

Well today I recieved this email.

hey man, i bought a new holley avenger off of you back in december, and its been on the shelf ever since. Today i took it out to try to install it and noticed that the base of the carb isnt flat. When it is put on the intake it has about a .008 inch gap which causes it to rock back and forth. I initially thought to take it to holley, but since i dont have any of the warrenty info and i'm not the original purchaser, i'm out of luck there. I've checked the carb on 2 different intakes and with a known flat surface(machinists microflat), so its definately the carb thats not flat. I know i bought it a while back, but i'm really up **** creek without a paddle here. Is there any chance you'd be willing to exchange the carb or refund me my purchase price? I hate to be asking this, but i just cant think of any other option. I dont want to install it and risk actually cracking the base, or my intake for that matter. As i said, its been on a shelf since i recieved it, has not been installed. Is there a way we can work something out with this?

Thanks, sorry to be PMing with bad news. Happy stangin,

-TJ

What could have caused this? :shrug:

Being stored in a hot environment then getting cold soon?

There is no way it could have happened at my house because I keep my new items inside in a spare bedroom.

I only had that carb for 1 month then changed my route.

I'm not sure what to do or what can be done about a new carb. Can Holley warranty it eventhough I no longer have the paper work nor those he? So I turn to you the fellow stangers. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have had this problem before and instead of using a paper thin gasket I just used the thicker gasket like rbohm suggested. You should only be tightening a carb down to a few ft lbs so cracking should not be a problem unless the installer is a gorilla like a dumbass friend of mine from long ago.....boy did I get a lot of great parts broken from him that I summarily repaired and had on the Mustang the next day.

Ronstang said:
I have had this problem before and instead of using a paper thin gasket I just used the thicker gasket like rbohm suggested. You should only be tightening a carb down to a few ft lbs so cracking should not be a problem unless the installer is a gorilla like a dumbass friend of mine from long ago.....boy did I get a lot of great parts broken from him that I summarily repaired and had on the Mustang the next day.
I agree here 1000%---------- tell him to just use a thicker gasket. I've had lots of Holleys that would rock slightly when first set down, none ever had performance problems. I tighten mine with a 1/4 drive rachet and socket and then only "wrist tight" Any more and you risk breaking the base, whether it's flat or not.

Sal,

Unforunately, the buyer wont be satisfied if you tell him to use a thicker gasket. Maybe you will luck out and he will. If its .008difference, he could have it machined flat. You could offer to pay for half that.....It wouldnt be much money at all.

In all honesty, you dont have to do anything since it has been so long. Ethically, you should though. I know I do when I sell items. However, there are those bastards out there that have ripped me off and REFUSE a refund.....or compensation for a sharty part.

Yeah Shane I was just not sure on what the problem could be.

I know I could have simply turn my back and not even answered his pm but I'm not like that. Good thing there are still people like us around.

I don't sell shiety parts unless otherwise specified of course. You know sometimes you break something he he heee and have no use for it and someone else does.