Cast Cranks vs forged cranks? And what kind of power can they handle?

GAU89LXStang

Feb 12, 2003
OK so I am stuck here in Germany, without a Mustang, but I figure why not build the engine for my dream Mustang while I am here. So I am wanting to do a 351W based stroker, either a 393, a 408, or a 427. I am going to be driving this car regularly when I get back, so it will need to be streetable, gas mileage not a big deal.

1.) Can a cast crank handle 500+HP on a daily basis?
2.) How much HP can it take?
3.) Isn't it torque that is harder on the crank?
4.) How much compression is safe running Premium gas, and AFR 205 heads?

Thanks.

Mo' Town :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Well a good SCAT 9000 series crank will outlast almost any stock block as far as power. However if you plan to build a 500HP car I would upgrade to the 4340 forged components, it really doesn't cost a lot more and is worth it in the end IMO.

A well built 393, 408 (don't reccomend a 427 with a stock block) will have no problem making 450-500HP with the right components. Big motors like big parts. Will you go carb or stay EFI? DOes it have to pass emissions?

Safe compression for PUMP gas is 10.5:1, most 408 kits put you at around 11.5:1+ with a 5cc flat top. You need to use a reverse dome piston 10cc-12.5cc to lower the compression. The AFR 205 heads are a good choice, along with a Super Victor intake (Spyder version if EFI), 2" headers, 3" exh min.

When your ready for some parts let me know.... :flag: I'm a big fan of German beers, you have got to be having a blast :cheers: