CDC Shaker Install

Here's some pics of mine. Silver does seem to be a popular color for GT Shakers. Gotta wonder why Ford didn't offer the Mach 1 in silver...

360719_29_full.jpg

360719_30_full.jpg

04DarkShadowGT said:
Post a pic of the underside of the hood, I have been curious of how well finished the kit is under the hood. Also a pic of the engine with the hood open too. Thanks'

360719_7_full.jpg

Red35th said:
Car looks awesome man. Do you have bumper inserts? I think with those you would have a just about perfect looking GT.

You couldn't have been more right about that! :nice:
360719_11_full.jpg

04DarkShadowGT said:
To anyone who has this kit, are there any issues with strength of the hood after a hole is cut. Any buckling, cracking, shaking, flying up, reduced strength etc. Thanks

It starts rattling at about 100 :D The only other problem is if you have to drive through smoke. That thing will suck it up and deliver it straight to your face. Even if you have the Max A/C on or set on full heat you'll get some.

GONE-N-60 said:
Your stang looks great :hail2: Im going to do the same thing to my stang
but Im going to buy a Mach1 hood :nice:

According to CDC the Mach 1 Hood will NOT work with their kit. I e-mailed them when I first got my car and asked them.

• Sponsors (?)

Kraw said:
wow, makes me want one

in the first pics, the black area around the shaker.. is that raised or is it just he picture making it look that way?

It is raised and completely surrounds the shaker. The black part is the applique. It is not a decal like the Mach 1's.

01GT eibach said:
Yeah, but Karkraft does have a kit to use the Mach 1 shaker with the Mach1 hood on a SOHC GT. Personally, I would go the Karkraft route if I had the coin to do the mod. I love the Mach 1 hood...

I looked and saw the KarKraft one. It looks a lot more like the Mach 1's. If I had the option I'd probably go with it over the CDC one. Mine was installed by the dealership long before I ever saw it.

I have my CDC kit, I'm about to install it in a few days (sigh I sold my scoop on ebay allready so driving around with bolt holes in the hood :() Any way the only question I have is how the shaker snorkel attaches to the Air Cone? I mean you gotta use silicone or RTV? The instructions dont say or I'm blind.

I got the kit on, looks sweet, doesnt shake all that much except when you first turn it over, or hit bumps in the road :p I fell a little difference, but nothing too noticable... it could even be my imagination... you spent 790 bucks (not including paint) its going faster... :p
Pics areup at www.cardomain.com/id/myponyrocks13

NasaGT said:
Maybe even paint the shaker gloss black. :shrug:

You might want to check out some of the pics over in the Mach 1 Registry. Some Mach 1 owners have either painted their scoop other colors, or had them stripped and polished.

GT-03 said:
You might want to check out some of the pics over in the Mach 1 Registry. Some Mach 1 owners have either painted their scoop other colors, or had them stripped and polished.
That sounds pretty cool - I'll have to go check that out. Thanks!

CDC Kit versions

Just to note, CDC has produced two different versions of their Shaker Kit. One of the obvious differences is in the air tube. The original kit included an air tube that was completely smooth. The second version of the kit included an air tube that was an "accordion" flex joint in the middle. Basically, when Ford picked up the CDC design for use on the 2003/2004 Mach 1, Ford made some design enhancements. CDC then took those enhancements, and added them back into their own kit.

If you check out the pics posted in this tread by manicmustangman, you will see the original version of the kit.

If you check out the pics referenced in this tread by myponyrocks you will see the second version of the CDC kit.

01GT eibach said:
Yeah, but Karkraft does have a kit to use the Mach 1 shaker with the Mach1 hood on a SOHC GT. Personally, I would go the Karkraft route if I had the coin to do the mod. I love the Mach 1 hood...

I have to agree. :nice:

I have been toying with getting a shaker kit ever since I found out that Ford wasn't offering the Mach 1 in a convertible. The KarKraft kit, due to using the actual Mach 1 hood rather than the tacked-on appliqué, does look a lot better to me.

My biggest hurdle, is in actually getting the Mach 1 hood, and getting someone to paint it for me. I am worried that only a very qualified painter will be able to match the DSG paint.

Nightrider276 said:
I would love to get one of these kits but i would find it very hard to part with my strut tower brace.. anyone think the kit could be modded so i would be able to keep the brace?

I believe one would need to install (change-to) one of the Mach 1 specific 2-point strut tower braces. The shaker itself precludes using any sort of s.t.b. that will attach back to the firewall. :(

Just got back from a road trip.

In one of my first posts, I asked some questions regarding the actual utility of closing off the fender snorkel. Does anyone have any idea how this might affect the MAF sensor/computer? Would it create any more of a ram air effect?

I'm thinking about doing it, but havent figured out a way to do it temporarily just to check. When I do things I like them to be permanent, or at least sound... and sound to me usually means permanent :p Please some one experiment. I hate having all my air from the shaker possibly blowing out the fender well :p

Nightrider276 said:
I would love to get one of these kits but i would find it very hard to part with my strut tower brace.. anyone think the kit could be modded so i would be able to keep the brace?
Oh hell...that just put a big dent in my plans. So you would have to get rid of the brace? I never thought about that.

jjaguda said:
In one of my first posts, I asked some questions regarding the actual utility of closing off the fender snorkel. Does anyone have any idea how this might affect the MAF sensor/computer? Would it create any more of a ram air effect?

Unfortunately, the center of the hood is a "low pressure" area, and the opening on the shaker scoop is just about dead center on the hood. What that means, is that the shaker scoop will not always be able to supply amble amounts of air and that makes keeping the fender snorkel a necessity.

A really well functioning scoop usually has its opening either at the front edge of the hood (Firebird WS6), the rear edge of the hood (Cobra), or raised up high (dragsters). Basically, locating the opening anywhere else the air pressure is higher.

Well the CDC kit doesnt seal 100% at the shaker, so if you blocked or partially blocked the fenderwell wouldnt it force the kit to suck in air? I mean the stock air system "Pulls" the air in right? so if its blocked and needed more than the scoop was feeding, wouldnt it suck in? I know nothing about this stuff, I always ran my '67 with the stock filter, but the old engines pulled air from right above the engine, talk about "cold air" :(

It would seem that myponyrocks is correct about the draw of air into the motor. Not that FORD has always built with performance in mind, but they did leave the snorkel in place as well. Would I hurt performance by closing off the snorkel? Run too rich?

Having trouble uploading under hood/insulation pics. Will try later.

your lucky! when i broke my aplique the same way you did, they told me its $300 for a replacement!!!! so now there are 2 chrome carridge bolts holding it down in the top corners. :bang:
see them up by the windshield....
site1055.JPG