CDC Shaker Install

jjaguda

Feb 7, 2004
Installed a CDC Shaker on my '02 GT. It was a little hard to cut a hole in an other wise perfect hood, so I went to a local ford parts guy and bought a 2nd hood the same color as mine. It was probably easier to work with the hood on a set of saw horses. Templates worked perfectly. Directions were easy to follow. Really looks good on top of my silver mustang.

Results: Applique (sp?) is very touchy. It come with several self threading nuts that cut into the plastic studs which go through the hood. You hve to be VERY CAREFUL not to overtighten (as if anyone did not get that when I mentioned the set-up.) Still, I managed to strip the back left corner when I over tightened it, tried to back off, and instead of backing of the stud, the nut spun in place and cut through the plastic stud like a pipe cutter. I called CDC and explained the problem. They sent me a new part, free of charge. Additionally, the tech suggested using a adhesive on the applique as well.

Another point by the tech was that the applique needs to be painted or the plastic will decay like plastic lawn furniture. So with the experience I had with the self threading nuts, I'll be painting the new applique before instalation instead of putting it on to see how it looks, then removing it to paint it. (Already know how it looks anyway.)

AS FOR POWER . . . didn't feel any. CDC claims a 8 or 9% (I believe) increase in HP. Probably not enough to really notice. MM&FF said they felt a seat of the pants difference, in an article I read online, when they did the install. I have completely followed the directions, in that I have not cut/shut off the snorkle from the fender well - as the directions didn't mention it. Additionally, there is a flap at the end of the air tube which fits into the air filter box. It seem like I would be better off removing it, but it is not mentioned at all in the directions.

Anyway, most of you know that if you are buying this set up, its for the looks. The shaker scoop is the coolest thing, visually, I've done to the pony. It draws lots of attention. And, it may just be me, I don't get as many kids trying to race me as I did before I changed the hood. One goofball even asked me if it was a supercharger. - - - - Why yes, It is a supercharged Formula One Race car with spy gadgets . . . .

• Sponsors (?)

That's if you don't add the sticker that comes with it...that adds the majority of the hp.

Just kidding, Shakers rock. As long as there are no Mach 1 badges on the car I think it's sweet.

I thought about getting the Banshee ram air kit for a little while.

Post picts.

HERE ARE SOME QUICK PICS.

No Mach 1 badges. I took of the GT badges all the way around. Put 4.6 badges on the front fenders and a "Power by Ford" badge in place of the "Ford" oval on the back right. Other than that I dropped the car about one inch with Eibach Pro kit, put a chin spoiler on and moved the rear spoiler back about one inch.

And another thing . . .
The pics above are of the unpainted applique. I have not decided on a color yet. Flat or gloss black. Charcoal, or the same color as the car.

Any opinions?

jjaguda said:
HERE ARE SOME QUICK PICS.

No Mach 1 badges. I took of the GT badges all the way around. Put 4.6 badges on the front fenders and a "Power by Ford" badge in place of the "Ford" oval on the back right. Other than that I dropped the car about one inch with Eibach Pro kit, put a chin spoiler on and moved the rear spoiler back about one inch.

Your stang looks great :hail2: Im going to do the same thing to my stang
but Im going to buy a Mach1 hood :nice:

Looks great! :nice: I've always wanted the shaker since I got my stang. Maybe someday....

I think a black pinstripe around the applique would be the perfect finishing touch.

Alot of people paint the applique flat or satin black. I think I would go with gloss black for a different look, but thats me. Maybe even paint the shaker gloss black. :shrug:

Thanks for the positive feedback. The MM&FF article I read showed the applique in gloss black, but it was in B&W.

As for the functionality of this unit, does anyone know how my MAF sensor will react to closing off the factory air snorkle? As it sits now, airflow is not "forced" because the snorkle is still functional. Additionally, the tube leading from the shaker to the air filter box has the flap, inside the air box, blocking some of the air flow from the shaker. Any ideas?

GONE-N-60-----------There is a company, KarKraft I believe, that has a kit to install the shaker on the GT using a factory Mach 1 hood. That might be the way for you to go. They also had(discontinued but are supposed to begin production again) a set-up to convert the factory-fake hood intake to a vacuum operated functional unit.

Looks great.

If it was my car, i'd go with flat black and paint the rear spoiler flat black as well. It might look Mach 1ish, but that Mach 1 has an excellent appearance package. Plus there are no silver Mach 1's and your hood is completely different. You are just borrowing styling cues that's all.

I'd also go with some Black bumper lettering out back as well and black tinted windows