Charging problem

I recently converted to a reman'd 95GT alternator, and I'm still only getting like around 11.8 and dropping when i drive. I don't have a belt tensioner, do you think it could be slipping that bad? I put the old pulley from my 2G alt. on there too. I have a 175A fuse. could it be a bad ground somewhere maybe? i made sure all my engine>battery and engine>chassis grounds are right?????please help

• Sponsors (?)

Does the voltage go up when the car is started, or does it stay the same or only drop once the car is started (compared to when the car is off). I'm asking if you are running off battery alone, or if there is some output at the alt.

The secondary power ground is between the back of the intake
manifold and the driver's side firewall. It is often missing or loose.
It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges. Any car that has a
3G alternator needs a 4 gauge ground wire running from the block to
the chassis ground where the battery pigtail ground connects.

Picture courtesy of timewarped1972
ground.jpg

Actually that ground has one 8ga cable that runs to the top of the firewall right behind the upper manifold. I couldn't get the damn nut off to take it off, so i slapped a 4ga down on top of it, and put a nut over it, then ran it to the area shown in the battery.
I ran new 4ga wire from the ground on the front of the block to the battery ground terminal.
I have the two original 10ga wires running off the back of the alternator to the solenoid (bout 8-9ft long, runs around the back of the engine bay), and one 4ga wire running from the alternator directly to the positive battery terminal, only about 3ft long, and it runs alongside the distributor.
Also, yesterday i sprayed quite a bit of belt dressing on my belt and it seems to be charging semi-ok. It's not really going below 12V, and is usually around 12.3-12.4 (I have a aftermarket voltmeter inside the cockpit). I just want more voltage so i can drive at night. What voltage should i generally be around? Plus I don't have a belt tensioner....maybe the problem?

12.3 is way to low.
You said it helped with belt dressing and asked if it was OK without the belt tensioner?
Possible not.
You might want to try a smaller/tighter belt to eliminate slippage, or add a belt tensioner and a new/larger belt.

ZM, has the alt been bench tested yet? The tensioner, unless you know that the tensioner is taking a relaxing dump, is not the first place I would look personally.

Good luck.