clutch cable broke. need suggestions

Torinalth

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Clayton NC
well, i was turning into my driveway, and put in the clutch to drop to second before i made the turn and a lovely pop, pop, pedal to the floor and no more stiff clutch pedal. so i now have a 3" piece of cable on my floorboard and no GOOD way to get it into gear.

i had the steeda adjustable cable, and prolly will go with a firewall adjuster/oem cable next time as i hear the oem is stronger. but here is my main concern. i drive for my job, and kinda need a solution by early morning so i can get it taken care of before i fall too far behind. i only know of 2 (one is a lil far) local mustang shops that might have aftermarket items. so i could see if one has the firewall adjuster and get an oem cable from the local ford dealer.

part of the issue is the pivot ball is really worked hard and should be replaced but i am trying to hold out till i pull my engine/tranny, as i dont want to drop the tranny just for that aspect of the car.... especially without a transmition jack.

so, does anyone have any OTHER ideas that i might not have thought of so i can hopefully get going sooner :)

Torinalth

• Sponsors (?)

Where did the cable break at? They make these cable repair kits that you can use as a temporary fix for the time being, but if it's snapped in a bad location, the kit might not work.

on the quadrent/pedal end... about 2-3 inches from the catch.

and yes i do know that i need to fix the pivot ball... but i dont have the cash as of yet.. i will be getting an MMR tko and at that point get all new parts to fix it... i just need to get going till my next paycheck :p

but i just have to get going till i have the cash, or the courage to dump it on my credit card, and then all will be well.

ok, got a new cable from the local place and put it on... noticed a massive chance... like near 15lbs less force needed t push the pedal down... how likely is it that it was having a massive drag from the cable sheath that was causing the high pedal effort?

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
ok, got a new cable from the local place and put it on... noticed a massive chance... like near 15lbs less force needed t push the pedal down... how likely is it that it was having a massive drag from the cable sheath that was causing the high pedal effort?

Torinalth
did you use an aftermarket adjustable cable? that may be why, as the aftermarket cable flexes. i woulda just used some duct tape :shrug:

DerekStangGT said:
did you use an aftermarket adjustable cable? that may be why, as the aftermarket cable flexes. i woulda just used some duct tape :shrug:

i had an aftermarket cable on, it broke, and now it has a new aftermarket adjustable cable on... steeda., and duct tape for what.... there was no OUTSIDE wear on the sheath.... just not following what the tape would be for.

and i got it origionally from Lee at www.stangpro.com, but my immediate need caused me to go to carolina mustang in cary, NC. not bad, but horrid hours (bankers) make them impossible to fit into my schedual.

Torinalth

Torinalth said:

Torinalth

very possible that the cable has excessive drag. when you drive around with a bad pivot ball it puts a ton of stress on the cable and that will cause that and the breakage. The same thing will happen to this cable.

Torinalth said:
i had an aftermarket cable on, it broke, and now it has a new aftermarket adjustable cable on... steeda., and duct tape for what.... there was no OUTSIDE wear on the sheath.... just not following what the tape would be for.

and i got it origionally from Lee at www.stangpro.com, but my immediate need caused me to go to carolina mustang in cary, NC. not bad, but horrid hours (bankers) make them impossible to fit into my schedual.

Torinalth
the duct tape mentioning was a joke.:D i dont think you can really tape a clutch cable back together.....SVTTECH?

svttech76 said:
very possible that the cable has excessive drag. when you drive around with a bad pivot ball it puts a ton of stress on the cable and that will cause that and the breakage. The same thing will happen to this cable.

well that i can live with, even if i am replacing a cable every 4 months... it will buy me time till i can afford THAT stage of my overhaul. already 3k in on suspension... almost done, then to the differential and axles, seals and bearings, then everything from the radiator to the driveshaft will get pulled. pricy project, buit great results so far, and i'll be damned if its not bullett proof then :)

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
well that i can live with, even if i am replacing a cable every 4 months... it will buy me time till i can afford THAT stage of my overhaul. already 3k in on suspension... almost done, then to the differential and axles, seals and bearings, then everything from the radiator to the driveshaft will get pulled. pricy project, buit great results so far, and i'll be damned if its not bullett proof then :)

Torinalth

yeah thats ok untill the pivot ball breaks off on you.

why not move the tranny stuff ahead of the rear end and other stuff. Trust me you will enjoy your car more and shift much better with a good clutch setup.. made a world of difference for me.

hmm... i dont really have an issue with that.. however, my main concern is i dont have a tranny jack, or engine hoist, so it makes it kinda difficult.... unless places rent those kinds of tools i am in a bind.

side note. how to tell if the pivot ball is worn too much... since the replacement of the cable it feel very fluid,and i cant remember when the clutch felt this soft. so i was a little presumptous in thinking the pivot ball was a definate. with the revelation of the cable being a massive issue i now find myself wondering what was really wrong., and how to check it without spending a weekend in just diagnosis.

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
hmm... i dont really have an issue with that.. however, my main concern is i dont have a tranny jack, or engine hoist, so it makes it kinda difficult.... unless places rent those kinds of tools i am in a bind.

side note. how to tell if the pivot ball is worn too much... since the replacement of the cable it feel very fluid,and i cant remember when the clutch felt this soft. so i was a little presumptous in thinking the pivot ball was a definate. with the revelation of the cable being a massive issue i now find myself wondering what was really wrong., and how to check it without spending a weekend in just diagnosis.

Torinalth

if it feels good to you then maybe the cable was the whole problem... I suggest going to a used car lot and test driving another mustang and see how that feels compared to yours.