CLutch cable

5.0 con-vert

No soup for you, Joe Rogan!!!
Jun 7, 2005
Boca Raton, FL
Apparently my BBK adj. clutch cable no longer wants to function. I read that most aftermarkets are junk and I should stick with the OEM cable from Ford. The question is, can I keep the BBK quadrant still instead of having to track down a stock plastic self adjuster? Also, where is teh cheapest place to get one? I think summit was 45 bucks. THANKS.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Some will likely disagree with this, but ADJUSTIBLE IS ADJUSTIBLE. The design is poop. They inevitably tend to bind up and/or break at the clutch fork end.

The cheapest, most reliable, best-feeling way to go on these cables is the "universal" OEM Ford clutch cable, available through Maximum Motorsports (and a couple of other places, I believe). Costs $75 shipped through MM.

You *should* still be able to use your BBK quad with it, but you'll need a firewall adjuster to go with it, for sure.

I ran the FMS adjustable cable for years - no complaints. If you compare it to the OEM version, there is not a large difference in quality IMHO.

Good luck.

yeah you can keep the aluminum quadrant still. i just ordered this adjustable ford racing cable from summit for $41.88 http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925134+4294840126+4294849241+115&autoview=sku

god help you then. your gonna hate that POS in a month. I went through 2 adjustable Ford cables before i finally wanted to throw the car off a cliff. The damn thing would stretch everyday ( i was literally adjusting it tighter and tighter EVERY DAY) until it finally started grabbing off the floor and i just tossed it. Finally puckered up for a Maximum Motorsport cable and OMFG its like having a different clutch and a new transmission.

just put a new ford piece in while the negine was out....huge difference. with the mm adj kit, you cant go wrong. but dont go with the aftermarket, it will strech really bad after a couple mths and then its back to square one

I am pretty sure that a NON-ADJUSTABLE cable will not work with your BBK quadrant. I have switched out mine because it held the cable in the factory location which is too far back. You need to purchase a 3 hook design like the UPR one to get the functionality you need. You will find yourself using the closest hooks to the firewall because the firewall adjuster spaces the cable out more than the stock setup therefore you need to get a multiple hook quadrant so you don't have to purchase this part twice like I did.

ALL QUADRANTS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL AND HAVE THE SAME CATCH POINTS!! SOME ARE MADE FOR OEM CABLES AND SOME ARE NOT.

I am pretty sure that a NON-ADJUSTABLE cable will not work with your BBK quadrant. I have switched out mine because it held the cable in the factory location which is too far back. You need to purchase a 3 hook design like the UPR one to get the functionality you need. You will find yourself using the closest hooks to the firewall because the firewall adjuster spaces the cable out more than the stock setup therefore you need to get a multiple hook quadrant so you don't have to purchase this part twice like I did.

ALL QUADRANTS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL AND HAVE THE SAME CATCH POINTS!! SOME ARE MADE FOR OEM CABLES AND SOME ARE NOT.

this is true...at first i didn't think you had a firewall adj. if you don't have a double hook quadrant and you want to use it with a firewall adjustor, you have to use an adjustable cable. otherwise you'll either have to get rid of the firewall adjustor or buy a new double or triple hook quadrant. either way, i have an extra steeda double hook hanging on a thumb tack in my room. :D

this is true...at first i didn't think you had a firewall adj. if you don't have a double hook quadrant and you want to use it with a firewall adjustor, you have to use an adjustable cable. otherwise you'll either have to get rid of the firewall adjustor or buy a new double or triple hook quadrant. either way, i have an extra steeda double hook hanging on a thumb tack in my room. :D

We may have to talk about this. I got the cable in teh UPS from Summit today. I thought it was the stock non-adjustable FRPP cable but it is the FRPP adjustable one. I'll throw it on tonight. Why the hell do these cables stretch so quickly? I have the Borg-Warner Brute power clutch so I figured it wouldn't be that rough on the cable.

Seems like the answer to your question would be to just purchase a setup from 1 company. Seems like Maximum motorsports seems like the way to go since they offer multiple setups but their all package deals. This was they already did the homework for you and everything should fit perfectly. It's not something to cheap out on as you only want to do this once. It's not expensive either. ($100-$150) for the package.