cobra intake manifold prob

i bought that cobra intake manifold kit you see from ford racing that came stock on like 89 thru 93 cobras or whatever, and im putting it on my 95 mustang and the trick flow intake adapter elbow doesnt allow enough clearance for that throttle position sensor or whatever that is on the side of the throttle body there

im thinking that maybe the trick flow elbow is only designed for trick flow manifolds , is this right and if so what elbow do i need

anybody , somebody?

• Sponsors (?)

GTwannaB said:
im thinking that maybe the trick flow elbow is only designed for trick flow manifolds , is this right and if so what elbow do i need

anybody , somebody?
Nope they are all the same elbows. I think the problem your having is the 93-older cobra intake come with the EGR's built into the throttle body inlet. So the inlet is longer the all other aftermarket intakes made for foxes. Look at Edelbrock, and Trickflow intakes the throttle body inlet is much shorter than the cobra inlet. That's were your clearance issues seem to be occuring, also I doubt your egr tube (from your passenger header to the intake elbow) is not going to reach/work.

I think Tim (18mustangs) is working that very issue....The 93 Cobra is really suited to a Fox TB set-up/swap and smog/EGR delete...
Lately more people been getting the 93 Cobras and arent really aware of what there getting into...No slam there by the way...
Trust me...I run that intake...and know of what your talking about...
new_cobra_cai.jpg

RIO5.0 said:
I think Tim (18mustangs) is working that very issue....The 93 Cobra is really suited to a Fox TB set-up/swap and smog/EGR delete...
Lately more people been getting the 93 Cobras and arent really aware of what there getting into...No slam there by the way...
new_cobra_cai.jpg

I love those valve covers, I was thinking about getting a set after my head swap, my question is did you have any problems with the oil tube, like relocating it, or anything like that?

RIO5.0 said:

Andy, unfortunately there's nothing more for me to work with this issue. I tried to find a way for the SN95 adapter elbow to work on my 93 Cobra intake (before I read your posts while I was in Iraq on the Fox TB conversion). I found out by holding the elbow to the intake that the elbow won't physically bolt up to the 93 Cobra intake unless one wishes to drill the elbow (the Fox TB is square while the SN TB is a slight rectangle so the bolt holes don't line up). Even if one dilled the elbow to match the fox bolt pattern one would have to get an EGR delete kit for the intake, or the elbow and make homemade EGR plumbing from the SN95 EGR valve if one is not using the Fox EGR as the sotck header mounted EGR tube would be iphysically n the wrong location. Then if all of that worked the throttle body would still be in the wrong location for any SN95 CAI, stock inlet tubing, or even Fox inlet tubing. I guess a homemade CAI would be in order then. I'm not sure that the stock SN95 throttle cable and cruise cable would be long enough, a guy I spoke to said yes but until I see it I'm a bit skeptical. After trouble shooting all of that, I decided that converting to the Fox throttle body set up would be a lot less hassle! Now only if I get the time to put the intake on! :nice: I recommend that he do the Fox TB conversion, but if he's set against it he should trade his cobra upper for an explorer which will allow his to run the adapter elbow ( I've seen pics of your car with one).
Tim

1994Vib.RedGT said:
I love those valve covers, I was thinking about getting a set after my head swap, my question is did you have any problems with the oil tube, like relocating it, or anything like that?

I had no issues at all...You just need to put the breather cap on the other side and route a new hose to you CAI...BUT...I'm a Fox TB set-up and run no EGR/smog...so room is not an issue...
These VCs are 4" tall though....I needed a 1/2" spacer to give the throttle cable some room over the top of the VC....on a SN95 elbow set-up with EGR it could be another issue...Ask Tim.... :D
FRPP breather for oil fill...
blk_vcs_6.jpg

Drivers side is cake....with an Eddy intake, cause its not as wide, you could prolly run the oil fill on this side???
blk_vcs_4.jpg

I run the 93 cobra intake with an edelbrock elbow. I got it to work but talk about a tight fit! we're talking mm 's in clearence for the TB and the oil neck off the valve cover. I was still able to use my C&L TB pipe but it sits really different and is not the way it was stock. sorda had to turn it on it's side and usea little bit longer rubber hose to connect the pipe to the mass air meter. I got my TB to fit without a problem but it is tight. only thing I had to do was extend the throttle cable a little. another thing I did was block off the egr stuff from the header and elbow and bought a 93 cobra egr. just replace the wiring plug and stuff to the back of the 93 egr and it works just fine. another thing is I had to trim the hood blanket cause it will rub with no spacer. I tried to fit a 3/8th spacer on it and the hood would shut but the intake sat right up against the underside of the hood so I had to take it out. I hoped this helped some.

RFMustangGT said:
I run the 93 cobra intake with an edelbrock elbow. I got it to work but talk about a tight fit! we're talking mm 's in clearence for the TB and the oil neck off the valve cover. I was still able to use my C&L TB pipe but it sits really different and is not the way it was stock. sorda had to turn it on it's side and usea little bit longer rubber hose to connect the pipe to the mass air meter. I got my TB to fit without a problem but it is tight. only thing I had to do was extend the throttle cable a little. another thing I did was block off the egr stuff from the header and elbow and bought a 93 cobra egr. just replace the wiring plug and stuff to the back of the 93 egr and it works just fine. another thing is I had to trim the hood blanket cause it will rub with no spacer. I tried to fit a 3/8th spacer on it and the hood would shut but the intake sat right up against the underside of the hood so I had to take it out. I hoped this helped some.

Could you post some pics, or PM me and I'll give you an email addy to send them to? I'd be interested to see how that setup looks. It's nice to know that the EGR will function for sure when I do my Fox swap. How much drilling do you have to do on the elbow in order to get the bolt hole to line up? My Edelbrock wouldn't line up at all with the Cobra's bolt holes.
TIm

here's a link to my cardomain site for when I did my intake swap: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/605670/4
I need to update it cause in those pictures it shows I tired to reuse the egr from my 95. just block off the the elbow and go buy a 93 egr from advanced. if you notice on the back of the 94/95 egr there is a where you hook the plug into this thing 9sorda round if memory severs me right) that has three screws in it. just unscrew that part and put it on the 93 egr. then it's a matter of bolting it on the back side of the intake. another thing is there should be a hole that goes from the lower intake to the upper. it's located right in the middle of both intakes. make sure if you have a spacer and/or a gasket that you have this hole otherwise it will just burn it up and I think it will not let the egr work right. now for the elbow. if memory serves me right, I drilled out the lower right bolt hole on the intake for the elbow to work. everything lined up ok. the reason why I had to drill it was to get a bolt to go through that you could actually tighten. I don't know why your eddy elbow doesn't work cause mine did. another thing is the cold air kit. I managed to get my C&L to work but a homemade would probly work the best. OH yeah, I almost forgot...DO NOT GO BY MY WIRES IN MY PITCURES!!!! someone helping me just started sticking them on so they are not all right. I think I got your question answered but if not just ask again. always willing to help out someone cause this swap I did turned out to be bigger than I thought. it was just going to be a simple swap and before I knew it I had to buy a new ditributor, fuel injectors, egr, fuel reg, and also a new filter cause the old one was too long. I do recomend a fenderwell air filter cause then you won't have to worry about fitting it up everything. I'll try dig up some new pictures in the next day or so.