Combo suggestions for 550-600 rwhp

I have a brand new never fired R336ci unassembled short block, good to 1500hp and 9000rpm. SVO R302 block, decked, align honed, bored .020 over and an all billet steel rotating assembly - Scat billet steel crank, Oliver billet steel rods, BME flat top 9:1 CR Swain coated pistons, neutral balanced, $7,000. Have over $9,500 in it.

This would be the last motor u would ever have to buy, virtually unbreakable.

Throw on a set of TFS Hi-port 225cnc'd heads, Victor EFI intake full race port, Jesel shaft mounts rockers, custom solid roller cam by Cam Motion, FTI or Jay Allen and u got an easy 700rwhp on 12lbs of boost.

• Sponsors (?)

GTOReturns said:
Good for power shifting but still dont see how it puts a load on the motor!

It doesn't put any load on the motor, but it does allow unburned fuel to leave the cylinder, which means that power was never added to the rotating mass in the engine. Then when it burns in the exhaust (or too late in the the cylinder to matter) there is enough air expansion/pressure to spool the turbo. In practice it seems that it doesn't yield much boost, but any boost at all would already be a long way toward fully spooling the turbo. The turbo should reach full spool almost instantly once the car is under load.

Theoretically, there's also no reason that you couldn't fully spool/boost the turbo without load. You just have to get enough pressure/air into the exhaust without adding a force to the reciprocating mass of the engine.

FastDriver said:
Thats the sort of comments that makes arguments personal... I'll bet I understand a turbo as well as anyone here. I'm looking at this purely from a physics standpoint.

Well..it seems that my comment persuaded you to do some research. Im quite certain you didnt spout your entire post off of memory...so at the very least I aided you in a refresh of the inner workings.

No, not really. Sorry for being an ******* and correcting you, but you told me that I don't understand how a turbo works so..... Heat exchange around the blades doesn't add anything to the speed at which they turn. The heat expands and pressurizes the air which forces its way passed the turbine blades and imparts a force. This works because the air-pressure acting on the surface of each turbine wheel creates a moment about the central axis of the turbine.

No offence taken...however you have only gone into great detail of the same prinicipal in which I was describing.

Ps. It seems most people are only able to spool the turbo enough to get a small amount of boost (usually 4-6 lbs) using a two-step and timing retard. Still, the majority of spool-time is getting the turbo to spin fast enough to go from a slight vacuum, less than an atmosphere, in the intake to a positive pressure.

Indeed...it's not perfect. 4-6 lbs however puts you ahead of the game...as reaching full boost is much quicker. It will not every be as good though as an auto with a transbrake. Even then you can still add a 2-step.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. My problem in understanding came from not knowing how the two step drops ignition or retarding combustion as much as it must.

:nice:

A good friend of mine (04sleeper)Kevin,has a good buddy with an 03 Cobra w/ a twin turbo setup.Ran a 10.1 in the 1/4 w/ street tires!!(YES,STREET TIRES) Full wieght with a roll bar.He has a 5 spd and off the line it boggs down because he cant spool up enough boost to rocket launch off the line like automatics can. Thats where I am coming from.BTW,lots of good info here fellas. :nice:

millhouse said:
Well..it seems that my comment persuaded you to do some research. Im quite certain you didnt spout your entire post off of memory...so at the very least I aided you in a refresh of the inner workings.

Thanks for the compliment. The only part that I researched was how much boost people were making with a two step and a manual tranny.

Definately some very good info and ideas.....I'm learning a lot!!! No I've never been in a turbo car other than VW's and and import vehicles(and I wasn't all that impressed...I work as a salesman and have the opportunity to drive many makes and models) ..but I'm sure a V-8 turbo car would rock!!! I'm not that knowledgable with turbo setups but I'm learning and will keep this as an option. Thanks for shareing the info with me :SNSign:

I'm thinking a Dart block for sure.....no sense in pushing a stock block past the edge and destroying a lot of good parts and wasting money. What is the farthest I can take a Dart 302 block to safely for a good street car with forced induction....I'm thinking a 347 would be plenty with a power adder too and relatively safe and dependable for a steet/ corner carver. Paired up with some AFR ported heads(what size I'm unsure of) and around 9:1 compression with 12-15 #'s of boost if I use a supercharger like a novi 2000 or vortech? But I haven't ruled out the turbo either....I like what I'm reading about them!!

FastDriver said:
I'm planning to make over 1000 rwhp with a Dart 331 and a single turbo. The question isn't how far can you take it. The question is "how far do you want to take it?"
Ever been in a car where you punch it out at 100mph and the wheels spin? If its a track car cool! But keep things realistic if its a street car.More then a weekend driver.

It's a streetcar, and it'll stick. On pump gas, I can only run 14-15 psi. So, it'll only make about 700rwhp w/o race gas. Plus, ET Streets and a full racecraft suspension, and I imagine, it'll hook just fine. In any event, you should build your car the way you want to, and let me build mine.

FastDriver said:
It's a streetcar, and it'll stick. On pump gas, I can only run 14-15 psi. So, it'll only make about 700rwhp w/o race gas. Plus, ET Streets and a full racecraft suspension, and I imagine, it'll hook just fine. In any event, you should build your car the way you want to, and let me build mine.
LOL,,Im not telling you to do nothing,just offering caution.Talk to 04sleeper about ET streets and 700+ HP Mustangs. . :D

Is it true...can a 331 stroker motor rev out a little higher than a 347 stroker can? Or is this just a myth...I'm sure a lot has to do with internal parts/valvetrain/and weight of those parts...but assume all is equal...? I would think the stroke of the 331 would but...want a definate answer. And by how many RPM's would this be if any? I'm not looking to turn 8000 rpm but I'd like to be able to spin it to 7000-7200 if I needed just a little extra rpm for the occasion. Not saying I'll keep it there all the time, just once and a while. I'm still realy leaning to going with the supercharged setup....I know I won't make as much power as turbo but 600 hp is plenty for a street car. I don't see to many cars beating up on me for the most part at that power level...I'm sure a few but not too many.

By the way this is a very good thread with some great opinions and information!!!! Very helpful to me. I'm just trying to get opinions from you mustang guys who have been there and done that before...LS1 chevy motors were so much different in many ways and I'm trying to learn as much as I can!!!!! Thanks.

SSBLUBYYOU said:
Is it true...can a 331 stroker motor rev out a little higher than a 347 stroker can? Or is this just a myth...I'm sure a lot has to do with internal parts/valvetrain/and weight of those parts...but assume all is equal...? I would think the stroke of the 331 would but...want a definate answer. And by how many RPM's would this be if any? I'm not looking to turn 8000 rpm but I'd like to be able to spin it to 7000-7200 if I needed just a little extra rpm for the occasion. Not saying I'll keep it there all the time, just once and a while. I'm still realy leaning to going with the supercharged setup....I know I won't make as much power as turbo but 600 hp is plenty for a street car. I don't see to many cars beating up on me for the most part at that power level...I'm sure a few but not too many.
I really wouldnt worry about revs with a Super Charger/Turbo. The torque will "more" then make up for it.:nice:

The higher you can rev, the more air you move. The more air you move, the bigger turbo you can spool. The bigger turbo you can spool, the more power you can make. Again, how far do you want to go?

Supra often utilize the advantage DOHCs give them to spin the motor to a high enough rpm to spool large power turbos.

Chris

FastDriver said:
The higher you can rev, the more air you move. The more air you move, the bigger turbo you can spool. The bigger turbo you can spool, the more power you can make. Again, how far do you want to go?

Supra often utilize the advantage DOHCs give them to spin the motor to a high enough rpm to spool large power turbos.

Chris
RX-7 rotary motors rev to the moon! :hail2: