Competition Engineering roll cage fitment?

Yellowpnoy

Feb 6, 2006
Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you had any experience with the competition engineering roll cage fitment. I found them on summit racing and they price is really cheap, but i am kinda wondering if that has to do with the quality of the kit. I have someone that will install for about $250 (friend) and i dont want this to be a royal PITA just to save a few dollars. I like the wolfe racecraft cages, are they better? The maximum motorsports cages are great, but they are bolt in, i would like to stay with a weld in cage. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a good fitting cage? I have to install one or this new motor is gonna turn the car into a pretzel! Thanks!!

Anthony
1989 Viper yellow GT
427ci Dart block
Brodix track 1 225 heads, JE Pistons 9:1cr
Comp cam .577//576 310/318
Edelbrock Victor EFI
Comp Cams Pro Mag roller rockers
(Soon to be blown):D

• Sponsors (?)

well this is the exact kit i put in my car. A friend of mine is a welder/fabricator and he welded it in for me. To be honest he said it would have been cheaper to just buy the pipe and measure and build one from scratch. The hoop is really the only piece you are getting that doesn't need to be cut down to fit and even that the angles on it were wrong and we had to rebend it ourselves. If you have a buddy with any kinda skills i think you could make oneyourself in an afternoon.

i just got through putting one im my car last weekend....took about a total of 11hrs of work! I have a hatchback so the strut bars were easy (8pt cage).....the only bars that gave me trouble were the door bars (had to be bent and cut) Luckily i had access to a tubing notcher, bender and saw......the majority of the pipe work will be too long.... actually all of tubes will need a little trimming. The main loop supports took the longest, they take ALOT of notching to fit the extreme angle where it meets the loop and cross bar....the other end of the loop supports i cut a hole in the floor pan and welded it to the subframe connectors, then welded the whole back up. I will try to get some pictures for everyone this evening if i have time after writing an essay :(

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you had any experience with the competition engineering roll cage fitment. I found them on summit racing and they price is really cheap, but i am kinda wondering if that has to do with the quality of the kit. I have someone that will install for about $250 (friend) and i dont want this to be a royal PITA just to save a few dollars. I like the wolfe racecraft cages, are they better? The maximum motorsports cages are great, but they are bolt in, i would like to stay with a weld in cage. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a good fitting cage? I have to install one or this new motor is gonna turn the car into a pretzel! Thanks!!

:OT: /ON

My post has nothing to do with the issue at hand but I would like to add that this post is a fine example of the differences between starting a thread in tech that asks for opinions on product X (your basic non-tech shopping thread) and an actual technical thread. This thread contains actual questions about the differences in characteristics for both quality and installation. Nice tech thread. :nice: It illustrates much of what I look for in the tech section. Subesequent answers will also be helpful to others if a search is performed.

:OT: /OFF

Thanks daggar, i appreciate it. I try not post unless i actually need the help after i have done a search. The search didnt bring anything real useful up, and i knew there were guys here who have experience with roll cages and their fitment. I hope this does help other guys when it comes time to install a cage themselves. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. From what you guys have said, you have to jig notch it anyway, might as well make your own. The guy doing the cage is a fabricator, but he is going to do it on the side for me, and i dont want to take up too much of his time. I think i may have to go the route of a bolt in cage and spare him the time. Thanks!!

Anthony

i would not waste your time with a bolt in cage unless you are strictly doing that cage to pass NHRA safty regulations and that is all. The way i see it, if you are having to add weight to the car (AND YOU WILL , AROUND 85lbs) then you might as well add some structural support and weld the cage in......this should do a good job of stiffining up your chassis some which is a plus and if in the god forbidden event that you did roll the car it might save your life where as a bolt in kit will neither provide as much structural support or be as safe if the car rolls. Just my .02