Cool abandoned buildings to use as a backdrop for car pics

There WAS the Danvers State Mental hosptial built in 1878 near me

800px-Danvers_State_Hospital,_Danvers,_Massachusetts,_Kirkbride_Complex,_circa_1893.jpg

It's been demolished and turned into condos though. It was cool though. I've been there. I would have loved to explore more of it than the limited part i got to see though.

The film "session 9" was filmed there with the guy from CSI:miami with the cheesy 1-liners (David Caruso)

Also, when i worked for the state, i got access to a LOT of historic Boston landmarks closed to the public. I've been under the Longfellow bridge and inside the support columns as well as in a lot of the older bridges and stuff. I've gotten a few relics..as well as finding some coins from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

I'm a big coin and pre 1950 antiques nut, so i love going into old buildings and finding stuff that has been around since the early 1900's.

• Sponsors (?)

Being in Buffalo, NY - I have you all beat!

Buffalo Central Terminal
Buffalo Central Terminal - a set on Flickr
View attachment 306329
View attachment 306330
View attachment 306331

Church of the Transfiguration
Church of the Transfiguration - a set on Flickr
View attachment 306332
View attachment 306333
set-72157600018486784

German Roman Catholic Orphanage
German Roman Catholic Orphanage on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
259417438_73b9ca49d2.jpg

259417617_6d134d927f.jpg

259418322_ff0249b4d0.jpg

259419233_4b02b1c1f6.jpg

Buffalo Psychiatric Center
Buffalo Psychiatric Center
01.jpg

The urban prairie - areas within the city of Buffalo that look like open fields (houses all torn down)
2591084201_58bf600bf8.jpg

How's this one?
2530248790_bdfa233d55.jpg

Or this?
2438681593_f9ef7efc86.jpg

Or this?
2530254482_341cb0a81d.jpg

20,000 abandoned homes in Buffalo and growing....

How about abandoned towns in MA??

When the built the Quabbin Resevior in 1939, they paid to relocate the people in 4 towns. They then tore down most of the buildings and flooded the low-lands. Some structures remain, but are on islands in the resevior. There are trails you can take and there are a few cemetaries there as well. The coolest feature is roads that go into the water and continue on. From the air, you can see all the roads under the water

View attachment 306324

View attachment 306325

View attachment 306326

View attachment 306327

Very eerie to be in the woods and see remnants of a town and nobody around.

I've hear scuba diving in the quabbin is even more eerie as not everything was removed before they flooded it

I wish I got to see Danvers. I want to see a Kirkbride(the style of building), but with the exception of greystone, there's not many left that you can get into. There's taunton state hospital, but not only is it far, but security brings their A game and on top of that, it's surrounded by 12 ft fence that angles out at the top. Aaron, have you been to Buffalo Psychiatric? That's a Kirkbride too. Little too far for me to make a daytrip out of it. I'm watching Trenton State Psyciatric center to see if it closes tho.
Link to Kirkbride Buildings.

Sorry about that. I'll fix the pictures. They didn't look that big when I hotlinked them.

*in Nathan Explosion voice* AWWWW-SUMMMMMM! :rock:

Sure wish there was more cool stuff like that around here. I'm weird. I could totally live in one of those rundown haunted-lookin' places ... just so long as I could also have functional indoor plumbing and a clean place to sleep every night. :nice:

And here's a google earth screen shot showing some of the roads under the water. I'd love to scuba dive in here and see what's down there. Prob a lot of junk though

Attachments

• quabbin.jpg
    quabbin.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 160
*in Nathan Explosion voice* AWWWW-SUMMMMMM! :rock:

Sure wish there was more cool stuff like that around here. I'm weird. I could totally live in one of those rundown haunted-lookin' places ... just so long as I could also have functional indoor plumbing and a clean place to sleep every night. :nice:

I've camped out at Byberry a few times. Wouldn't want to stay too long tho. Lot of asbestos there.

The whole run down background thing only works with nice cars. Put a car like mine that looks run down in front of an old run down abandoned building and either 1) the car disappears into the background or 2) your car makes the background look better.

:lol:

Isn't that sort of like an expensive trailer park? No offense, i grew up in a trailer...i just never understood why people build houses on lots that are just big enough to fit the house on...i'd rather have a trailer on a large piece of land than a large house 3 feet from my neighbor.

Thats funny you mention kings park. I was there yesterday walking around, it is a state park and some of the buildings you can get up real close to. Some are not fenced off but the roads to them are blocked off. Pretty coll place, never thought about taking pics in front of them though.

I'm really wanting to make a Kings Park trip one day. Did you know that if you get into one building, you can go to any of them? They have steam tunnels connecting them all.
Here's my holy grail. It's too expensive of a trip and I couldn't get my car in it tho.
chernobyl.jpg

Yep. Chernobyl. They do tourist trips there.
800px-SS_United_States_Philadelphia_2005.JPG

This one's in philly. I can't see a good photo op with a car, but I'd love to get on there.

Isn't that sort of like an expensive trailer park? No offense, i grew up in a trailer...i just never understood why people build houses on lots that are just big enough to fit the house on...i'd rather have a trailer on a large piece of land than a large house 3 feet from my neighbor.

Actually, it's cheaper than a trailer park. I doubt $1200 would buy you much of a trailer!