Crank but no start. Fuel pump? No Spark? Both?!%

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
Ok, so after writing a beautifully detailed grocery list, I hopped into the car to head to the store. When I turned the key, the motor cranked but wouldn't start.

I tested the battery and it's fully charged, so I started looking suspiciously at the fuel system. I hopped back in the car and turned the key to the off position and back to the on position, priming the fuel lines, 2 or 3 times and then gave it another crank. Still nothing.

I checked the inertia cut-off switch in the trunk and it hadn't been activated so I slid under the car and checked the fuel lines leading to and from the fuel filter and they looked fine. I then primed the lines two more times, removed the cap from the schrader valve on the fuel rail and pressed in the valve with a small allen wrench expecting a tiny shower of fuel. What I got was a quick blast of air and not much else. I depressed the valve again (this time holding it for a little longer) and once again got mostly air--there was some slight moisture along with it kind of like when you hold a compressed air can in the wrong position and a bit of moisture fires out.

This boggled me because I'm fairly certain that I can hear the fuel pump coming on when I turn the key. I immediately pulled a spark plug to see if it had any moisture on it and it seemed fairly dry.

I pulled another spark plug to do the same test and it crumbled to pieces...the inside of the plug had rusted so when I pulled the plug its innards all came tumbling out and scattered in shards across my distributor cap.

GREAT. Now I may have a fuel issue AND a spark plug issue.

Here's my question: If I can hear the fuel pump coming on (which I think I can) shouldn't the shrader valve test have yielded a shower of gas and not a burst of air? If so, what should my next step be in diagnosing the fuel issue?

Also, is it possible that the rusted out plug may have been the culprit this entire time? In other words, is it common to get occasional air blasting from the fuel lines?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe it locked up, or maybe something internal went out and it's spinning but not pumping fuel, sadly I've had that happen before. But if I were you, I'd put all new plugs and wires on first and go from there, might not be fuel at all.

Get a FP gauge and see what's going on. The gauge will tell you (don't forget about the fuel filter if pressure is down).

You could use a priming fluid (starting fluid, etc) to see if it will burp.

Alright. I've got a FP gauge but the fitting didn't seem to be applicable to the shrader valve. The weird thing is, I know I've used it before :shrug: So I'll just have to tinker around and remember how I used it last time.

Before I start diagnosing fuel issues I'll have to wait on some new spark plug wires. It's annoying because every other plug wire seems to be in great shape, does anybody know if you can order wires individually? I've only seen sets for sale online. That's probably a dumb question. :p

Btw, thanks for the responses, guys.

Hissin: I like that priming fluid idea. Although I know the purpose and application of priming fluid I've never actually used any. Could you elaborate on that process? Where exactly in the fuel system does one inject the priming fluid? Somewhere close to the motor I would assume? lol

Hissin: I like that priming fluid idea. Although I know the purpose and application of priming fluid I've never actually used any. Could you elaborate on that process? Where exactly in the fuel system does one inject the priming fluid? Somewhere close to the motor I would assume? lol

You can spray a little starter fluid into the TB. Be careful because ether is so flammable.

You can sometimes find a generic spark-plug wire at the parts store. That might tide you over till you can get some new wires.

Usually you unscrew the schraeder, and screw it directly into the fuel pressure rail. It's 1/8" NPT.

Kurt

Ahh, I figured there was some sort of step I wasn't considering, lol. Thanks.

I had this happen to me the plug in connector on the 5.0 under the coil came loose and i wasnt gettin spark Check that and see, and for the rust that cant be good.

Interesting. I'll see if I can pin point that plug and make sure its properly seated. Thanks for the tip!

BTW am I the only one here who gets excited when I have car parts coming in the mail even when they're as trivial as spark plug wires and a fuel filter?? The anticipation is killing me! :p