Cruise Control not working

MO351

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
MO USA
Bought a 96 GT a few weeks ago and the cruise control does not work. The fuses are fine. What else could be the problem? Are there any common problems with the cruise on these 96-up cars? I've searched the forums and didn't get anywhere. The horn works and there's no air bag light on so it's not the clock spring. What else would it be? The servo? Any way to do a diagnostic on it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

check the buttons. When I installed billet switches mine stopped working... and started honking the horn instead :p theres not much room in there and if its touching any metal its not supposed to you can have issues.

There should be a rubber sleeve that goes under the cruise control buttons.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Good luck getting it to work again, the cruise control in my old 96 Cobra stopped working shortly after I bought it. I was never able to figure it out...

I have the same problem in my 2000 GT, the fuses are good, and the cable is hooked up from what I can see....I got no clue why it does not work. I have a warrenty on the car since I just got it, so I might call them and see what they can do

I had an '89 GT that the cruse quit working on and it was the canister that actually opens the throttle. It was mounted in the driver side fender. I had to take the inner wheel well (that big black thing under your fender) out to get to it. I checked my ’03 GT and it looks like it’s still mounted in the same spot. Look at your throttle, there should be two cables attached, one goes to the gas peddle the other goes to the canister. When I took the cable loose from the throttle you could pull it out way farther than you should be able to. The part that attaches the cable to the diaphragm in the canister had broken. Got a new one at Advance Auto or Auto Zone (don’t remember which) but it had a lifetime warranty.