Cylinder full of fuel/ plug not fouled

Daves94vert

Founding Member
Jan 3, 2001
Is this the signs of a bad/leaking injector? Checked all plugs and #7 soaked in fuel/ but looks very good(maybe not firing). Before morning startup I checked fuel pressure in the rail and had none. Started car, and checked for spark/spark is fine. Then swapped a new plug in #7/ same results(fuel soaked). The car has a huge miss. When the car is warm it runs fine so i'm assuming that it runs better once all the fuel in that cylynder is burned. Anyway, NAPA wants $70.00 for one injector(24lb) and I don't want to pay that much when I can get 8 for $150.00 and I'm aggrivated. Thanks in advance?

• Sponsors (?)

On the cheap, swap the #7 injector with any other one you know has no problem whatsoever. If still #7 is filling with fuel after the swap - well I just have a hard time believing it. but in that case re-check your spark or swap the spark plug.

If it is 100% getting fire in the cylinder, then you are most likely going to find that it is the injector.

87'GTstang said:
On the cheap, swap the #7 injector with any other one you know has no problem whatsoever. If still #7 is filling with fuel after the swap - well I just have a hard time believing it. but in that case re-check your spark or swap the spark plug.

If it is 100% getting fire in the cylinder, then you are most likely going to find that it is the injector.

Thats a good plan. Also if the wires will reach, swap the #7 inj. plug with the one next to it. If the problem follows the injector plug, the the puter or wiring have a problem.

Since you say it has a terrible miss, suspect that first. Check the firing order. Put a plug in the wire running to #7 and ground the threads on the plug to something metal. I usually clamp it onto a bracket or something with vice grips so I dont get shocked. Crank the engine and you will see if the plug is firing. You should see a nice bright blue spark, not orange. I think its likely you have a bad plug wire or dist cap terminal.

I had a similar issues...except the porblem with me was that the pedistal broke from the rocker arm and it caused the valves not to open...hence it was flooding the intake runner...Do you have pedistall mount rockers? check what the other said first though before you panic...

one can do the soapy water test from Joe to see if the injector is leaking.

first, in addition to the good advice so far, i would run a cylinder balance test for fun and see what you find.

good luck.

Daves94vert said:
How do I run a cylinder balance test?
cylinder balance test is one of the tests one can perform while doing self-diagnostics. it will test each injector and compare them. if one or more injectors does not pass using that test's perameters, it tests and retests using different criteria to determine if the injector is still usable. neat little test.

while i am not sure this will help you a whole lot (depends if you think that injector is misfiring, as you suggested as a possibility in your first post), but it is a very easy test to do and simply a good idea, IMHO, any time one is having injector issues.

if you use a code reader, the booklet should outline the steps involved in doing the test. if not, one or more of the links for code pulling out there should cover it too.