Do mustang II come with posi

admaster99

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2002
Iowa
Hi, I just got my mustang II a couple of days ago and so far its pretty nice it needs a little work here and there but nothing to extensive. I have a few questions first off is there a common brake problem these cars have because my brakes aren't working for crap only the front ones work and it is very hard to stop have to put it to the floor to stop, and sometimes that doesn't do it. Second I was wondering if these cars came with posi because the other day I was trying to see what this bad boy could do and I went to drop the clutch and all I got was a squeal I went back and looked at it and there was 2 small blackies. And then I tried it again and the clutch didnt completely connect and the engine revived really high and we took of and I thought we smoked because we smelled smoke and my friend said that the smell was from the clutch. He said the clutch is bad so how do you tell if the clutch is going bad or not. I notice it kind of stutters when you let off the clutch to put into gear and I also noticed that the shifter medal stick that is coverd by the leather boot I feel that every now and then and it gets really hot I dont think thats normal, also I kind of hear a winding noise when shifting into second but that would be the tranny. Just to let you all know I normally dont beat my cars I just want to see what its capable of so I know for bragging rights. Also the other day we tried to get a 0 to 60 time and we got around 10 seconds which is horrible for a 302 thats pumping out more then 300 hp. But today I tried it and for some reason I got up and moved a hell of a lot faster, I put it in 1st gear and let it roll for a little bit to make sure it was in gear then I stomped on it and it squeeled really good and took off like a rocket then I shifted it to 2nd and it squeeled the tires AGAIN! and before I new it, it was up to 60 and I had to slow down, also I felt the shifter stick again and it wasnt hot! I dont know maybe it just needs to be broken in because it was sitting for 2 years any ideas thanks
P.S. Sorry I wrote so much

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your having fun :)

Definitely sounds like you had (have) some clutch slippage from the symptoms you described. Since it has gone away you may have gotten some oil or other contaminants on it while it's been sitting for so long. This will cause slipping until it's been burned off. If the problems continue, don't delay on replacing the disc, otherwise you may score up the flywheel so bad it can't be resurfaced (finding a replacement isn't easy or cheap these days).

Hard to say if you have a posi or not (my daughter's car isn't a posi but will regularly leave twin blackies). Is it the original rear? If the door tag shows a letter instead of a number for the axle code, good chance you have the posi. Other way to check is crawl under and check the tag on the diff itself. On the lower left it will be marked with the ratio. If for example you have 3.00:1 traction lock (posi is a Chevy term ;) ) the tag will read "3L00" If it's a open rear it will read "3 00".

As posted above look on the drivers side door sticker under axle will be a 6 or other number. If it's an X its a posi. A good redneck test is to pull off the road one tire in dirt, the other on pavement. If the dirt side spins but not street side it's a one legger. (1 tire fryer) :rlaugh: heh heh.