DO you ice your intake after runing at the track??????

• Sponsors (?)

Its usually worth a tenth for me. I do it all the time and i see lots of people that do. It helps the cool down time. I have an electric fan so my cool down time is quick with the ice and the fan running. So if you are at a test and tune and there is not many cars your cool down time can be cut in half........its retarded not to use ice on an efi car.

Tell your friend it's all about thermodynamics -- spell that word for him if you have to. For every 10F decreases in intake/combustion air temp, HP output increases by 1/2%-1%. Anything you can do to help lower the temp of the air/fuel entering the engine will help power production. That's why many boosted cars run intercoolers - to get rid of the heat that compressing the intake air adds. There's a reason you see people pushing cars through the staging lines with ice everywhere. That's why, all other things being equal, cars run quicker in the spring and the fall than they do during the heat of the summer. That's also why hanging a big conical filter under the hood where it picks up hot under-hood air probably makes less HP than the stock air filter box.

Michael Yount said:
Tell your friend it's all about thermodynamics -- spell that word for him if you have to. For every 10F decreases in intake/combustion air temp, HP output increases by 1/2%-1%. Anything you can do to help lower the temp of the air/fuel entering the engine will help power production. That's why many boosted cars run intercoolers - to get rid of the heat that compressing the intake air adds. There's a reason you see people pushing cars through the staging lines with ice everywhere. That's why, all other things being equal, cars run quicker in the spring and the fall than they do during the heat of the summer. That's also why hanging a big conical filter under the hood where it picks up hot under-hood air probably makes less HP than the stock air filter box.

I couldn't agree more with his last sentence!

"Abba.... The Most Influential Pop Group To Come Out Of Sweden In The Early 90's"

??? Early 90's? I guess icing connects to Sweden and since I drive a Volvo - well, you're seeing how it all fits together. Don't know if it's fact or not, but rumor has it that there were years in the 70's and 80's when ABBA was Sweden's single largest grossing 'product'.

has anyone used that Anderson Ford Motorsports intake glove thing? It zips up around the cold intake and around the upper intake and i'm guessing it's like an ice pack or something that you can freeze over and over and reuse. Looked pretty cool from the pic but it's tough to tell if it works untill you get reviews.

I tried it once...and actually lost a .1 or .2 :D.

Definatley not the norm though...I'm sure I changed my shift points or something else on that run.

I havent done it since for 2 reasons.

First off, it's messy as hell. All that Ice melts and water drips friggen everywhere.

Secondly, I dont Ice my intake on the streets if I were to have a "friendly" encounter. It's the same reason I dont run a short belt at the track. Sure it will improve your times, but it doesnt realistically show what your car is capable of on a day to day basis.

One of the few good times that I can see to use it is when your hovering right at 14.00 or 13.00 and need that extra spunk to break into that new range you've been looking for :nice:

millhouse said:
I tried it once...and actually lost a .1 or .2 :D.

Definatley not the norm though...I'm sure I changed my shift points or something else on that run.

I havent done it since for 2 reasons.

First off, it's messy as hell. All that Ice melts and water drips friggen everywhere.

Secondly, I dont Ice my intake on the streets if I were to have a "friendly" encounter. It's the same reason I dont run a short belt at the track. Sure it will improve your times, but it doesnt realistically show what your car is capable of on a day to day basis.

One of the few good times that I can see to use it is when your hovering right at 14.00 or 13.00 and need that extra spunk to break into that new range you've been looking for :nice:

Put the ice in a garbage bag to eliminate leaks, works for me. 2 10ths usually.

ok dont flame me for this one, just a crazy idea:
block of dry ice in a stock air filter box? We used to put dry ice in a bucket behind a box fan at my old job, and it blew super cold air on us like an AC would...the only problem i think you might have is that when dry ice melts it emits some form of gas, not sure what and not sure what it could do to an engine.

Dry ice is solid CO2 - carbon dioxide. The reason it's called "dry" is because it doesn't melt into a liquid. I goes straight from solid to gas (the opposite of what happens when water vapor becomes snow flakes) - so it can be used to chill things that you want to be cold, but you can't have melted water running everywhere. If you order meat or seafood it comes packed in dry ice for this reason.

Of course, you now see the problem with your application. CO2 is one of the biggest products of combustion - that is your exhaust is FULL of CO2 AFTER the gasoline combusts. You don't want to put CO2 into the intake air stream.

riiiight...sounded good though didnt it? lol I think the AC to intake tube idea sounded pretty neat for a redneck mod...maybe combine the leaf blower supercharger with the AC cold air intake and you'll be set.

Can somebody prove to me that there is enough saturation time to change the temperature significantly of the incoming air charge? What is the velocity of the air in the manifold in ft/sec? If the air is moving then there is not enough time for the the manifold temp. to change the incoming air charge temp. Help me out here, my Heat Transfer textbook is in my other office and I don't feel like getting to it now.

Now cooling the fuel in the fuel rails is a diff. story. I can see that but then you want to 'supercool' the whole fuel supply to give you a denser charge of fuel.