Does anyone actually use a Belt Tension Gauge?

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
When I get to the stage of putting the belts back on, I was thinking it would be nice for once to properly set the belt tension. Then I see the $100 price tag on this tool and quickly realize that it's not going to happen. Not that I think $100 is a lot for a calibrated gauge, I guess I was just hoping for a simpler (OK cheaper) tool.

View attachment 254211

What's the next best alternate method of setting belt tension?

Is there anyone out there actually using this tool?

One site states "Belt Tension Gauge without adapter" which leads me to believe that more stuff needs to be purchased to actually make it work.

• Sponsors (?)

My work held a V-belt seminar put on by Goodyear, and they had all kids of info on belt tension, etc. They handed out belt tension gauges to us, and it's a simple device, kind of a spring-loaded thing with an o-ring to mark the amount of belt deflection. Funny thing is, I've always done the "1/4-turn" method. That is, get the belt tight, and if you can twist it more than 1/4 turn, it's either too loose or worn out. Anyway, I adjusted my belts that way, then checked it with my fancy Goodyear tool and found out that the 1/4-turn method is very close to perfect. There is a ton of stuff out there for perfect belt tension, from stick-on, single-use tape to expensive tools like the one you pictured.

i have never used a belt tension gauge. i use the belt deflection method. older V belts should deflect about 1/2" when properly installed, and serpentine belts slightly less. never had any issues using this method.

I just want it to be reasonably correct so as not to cause premature bearing wear on the water pump, power steering pump and alternator. I get the feeling I've always overtightened the belts in the past, since the bearings on these items is usually what causes me to have to replace them.

Thanks for the tips.