Does the GT 500 suck?!?

100% different then what...someone going all out and buying a GT500, over a regualar Shelby GT?

So again I ask you, what makes Roush and Saleen offering entry, mid and high end versions of their cars at hefty, more hefty and really hefty premiums over the standard Mustang different than Shelby offering cars like the Shelby GT, the CS6 and/or the Shelby GT500 versions of his? :scratch:

Roush and Saleen cars offer a little more visual "pop" because that's what they've always been known for...exterior appeal. Shelby's have always been known for their "Classic Appeal", which is why they're a little more basic looking.

But aside from the fine details between the models, I really don't see a difference in their marketing practices. :shrug:

I answered this in the previous post, but I'll answer it again for you.

Buying an entry/mid level roush or saleen is dumb.

Buying a S/C Roush or Saleen is 100% different than buying ANY Shelby GT. The SGT or the SGT-C. Both of the SGT's are just a CAI and tune car. The SGT-C has some brakes and wheels that are way overpriced, but that's all.

So again, it's 100% different to buy a S/C Roush or Saleen over a SGT or SGT-C. If you buy a SGT-C just lol. Saleen S/C car for the same price that is faster AND will still hold it's value better than a regular GT.

Also, buying a Stage 2 Roush or Saleen and they come with suspension package where the SGT does not (or at least not as complete as the saleen and roush package).

So for 49k, you can run 13.8's or you can run mid to high 11's and still have a car that isn't a "regular" GT.

• Sponsors (?)

The SGT-C is the only Shelby GT that is in Roush/Saleen SC price territory.

The normal SGT is about 10k less. It would be cheaper to buy the wheels/brakes than to buy a GT-C. To be honest I never heard of GT-C until I saw this article.

Buying an entry/mid level roush or saleen is dumb.
According to who? Some guys are more than content with having the look of the Roush or the Saleen, especially when you consider the added cost to go all out with their Supercharged versions. The local dealership probably sells one Stage 1 per month. Don't even get me started on the Roush pick-up trucks that are nothing more than a couple of badged up F150's with wheels and stripes. People like "pizzazz" and the entry level Roush, Saleen and Shelby models give them that without breaking the bank!

Buying a S/C Roush or Saleen is 100% different than buying ANY Shelby GT. The SGT or the SGT-C. Both of the SGT's are just a CAI and tune car. The SGT-C has some brakes and wheels that are way overpriced, but that's all.
Ok...but you're again missing the point. Why are you comparing a supercharged Roush, or Saleen to a near entry level Shelby? Why not use the CS6 or the GT500 as the counterpart to the high end Supercharged Saleens, or Stage 3 Roush/427R? Then compare the power and resale value!

So again, it's 100% different to buy a S/C Roush or Saleen over a SGT or SGT-C.
Yep...already covered that above. I'm still not sure why you insist on comparing apples to oranges though? :shrug:

Also, buying a Stage 2 Roush or Saleen and they come with suspension package where the SGT does not (or at least not as complete as the saleen and roush package).
Now you're quibbling over little details. The Stage 2 comes with their suspension package, the Shelby GT comes with the Ford Racing Handling Pack with special-tuned dampers and unique sway bars. The Roush Stage 2 puts out 300hp and the Shelby GT puts out 320hp. Tit for tat. They're pretty comparable rides just the same.

So for 49k, you can run 13.8's or you can run mid to high 11's and still have a car that isn't a "regular" GT.
Take away the goofy decals and flashy power parts and they're all "regular GT's" my friend. ;)

According to who? Some guys are more than content with having the look of the Roush or the Saleen, especially when you consider the added cost to go all out with their Supercharged versions. The local dealership probably sells one Stage 1 per month. Don't even get me started on the Roush pick-up trucks that are nothing more than a couple of badged up F150's with wheels and stripes. People like "pizzazz" and the entry level Roush, Saleen and Shelby models give them that without breaking the bank!

Ok...but you're again missing the point. Why are you comparing a supercharged Roush, or Saleen to a near entry level Shelby? Why not use the CS6 or the GT500 as the counterpart to the high end Supercharged Saleens, or Stage 3 Roush/427R? Then compare the power and resale value!

Yep...already covered that above. I'm still not sure why you insist on comparing apples to oranges though? :shrug:

Now you're quibbling over little details. The Stage 2 comes with their suspension package, the Shelby GT comes with the Ford Racing Handling Pack with special-tuned dampers and unique sway bars. The Roush Stage 2 puts out 300hp and the Shelby GT puts out 320hp. Tit for tat. They're pretty comparable rides just the same.

Take away the goofy decals and flashy power parts and they're all "regular GT's" my friend. ;)

The SGT-C is no longer "entry level", in my opinion, when it is listed for 49k. When you can get a supercharger saleen for that much, why would anybody spend the money on a SGT-C?

I don't know much about the CS6, get me details and I can get back to you on it. As far as the GT500 goes, I guess I never said it, but I was comparing cars that go off to a company to get their looks and go-fast goodies (sgt/sgt-c/saleen's/roush's). Either way, the GT500 is a pig, awesome, but a pig. Stock they run something like high 11's all the way to mid 12's. Same as a Supercharged Saleen. Personally, I would buy a GT500 because of the potential in the motor as opposed to the Saleen.

I didn't know that the SGT came with the handling pack. I thought they only came with some LCA's or something. My bad :p

And I agree 100% with you one the saleen and roush pick up trucks. I think the stg 1 saleens and roushs are dumb just because you are paying so much extra for a little pizzaz. But like you said, some people just like that sort of thing.

The GT500 would have been an excellent car if they gave it the all aluminum Ford GT engine and trimmed some weight off the front.

As is it's a supercharged mustang with a better aero package an extra gear but a lot more weight which is the real enemy of sports/race cars.

Well you might say they suck depending on how you look at it.
Their Superchargers suck air or blow air, depend on how you think about it.

It's kind of like how you view gravity, when your young gravity pulls, as you get older you find it sucks!

That help?

alot of people are complaining about the weight factor vs the previous years. i don't mind the extra weight, the car still hauls ass, and rides better then the previous years.

several magazines i've seen test modifications on these cars and have gotten them into the 10s with simple bolt ons.

alot of people gripe about the rear end. not everyone wants a independent rear suspension though.

Um....440RWHP = over 500SAE Net horsepower....wich is far more than the original made. Not to mention the original was rated using "GROSS" figures, which translates to even less still!

The GT500 is sex on wheels. It wasn't designed as a strait line runner, it was partially built as an all around performer, but mostly as an homage to the Shelby GT500 namesake. If you'll recall, the original GT500 wasn't overly special performance wise back in it's day either. :shrug:

Yea the shelby does have the 500 horsepower. but 500 hp isn't even in it's namesake. and it never was. The 428 Cobra Jet that the GT500 KR's had was a 335 horse motor

Not all that bad...

The current S197 GT500 definitely does not suck, although the new one for 2010 looks a lot better!

In my opinion, the current car is a blank slate, handling is sloppy and it comes with huge gaps in the fenders making it look raised like a truck. Throttle response, and even power can be hugely improved with a tune, and a pulley if you want to see 550+ rwhp (~620 hp)

Problems- WEIGHT- 3850+
AERODYNAMICS- 2010's drag coefficient is much better
HANDLING- poor, even with Goodyear Eagle F1 SUPERCAR tires they are sloppy
because there simply wasn't enough suspension tuning, a Shelby GT will outhandle a GT500 in almost every test esp. slalom, and usually skidpad

I do not like the style of the current GT500, but they are far from garbage. As with any car, you can upgrade things to make it better. A friend has a GT500 with simple bolts on, he puts 560 to the wheels......safely.

Now in truth I love my GT. I rather have my GT over a 500 simply because my GT has my unique flavor and style. Having a unique car, done your way is what you should shoot for. Power ? Well you can always buy the power.

Hence see my sig :)