Dropping an 02's PI engine in a 1997 GT...

I was wondering if anyone here has dropped a PI motor and t45 transmission mounted together? I am dropping in an 02 motor in my 97 GT and I am struggling with getting the t45 to mate with the block. I can get the teeth of the shaft to engage the clutch disk about half way then it acts like its bottoming out leaving about 1-2 inches gap.

I was curious if there is a trick to dropping them in together.....I do not want to beat the hell out of the tailshaft of the trans trying to figure it out

Thanks !!!! :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Presuming the clutch disc is properly lined up...

The 02, if it was from the manual trans car, would have come with a TR3650. Are the pilot bearings for the T45 and TR3650 the same?

Perhaps the T45 input shaft where it rides on the pilot bearing is larger and is prevented from seating in the TR3650 bearing present in the back of the PI engine.

Did you replace that bearing?

It was a manual trans motor and it came with the factory flywheel.

I did not replace the pilot bearing...from what I have read....all 4.6's use the same throwout bearing. The information I read could be wrong, but I could not find information that shows different pilots bearings being used. The clutch is king cobra. I installed it about a year ago and it only has about 1500 miles on it.
I had considered it being the pilot bearing.....when I changed the clutch out last year, everything went together rather easily....even without a clutch tool.

At the risk of stating the obvious, are the number of splines on the input shaft the same as the clutch? Did you use an alignment tool?

Is the throw out bearing correctly installed within the shift fork? If the TOB has been installed on the outside of the fork, the TOB will contact the clutch fingers way too soon.

Is the shift fork fully seated on the pivot point?

How about some pictures?

IMO, you are wise to not force this. I am sure there is a person or two on the boards that can tell a story of how forcing cracks bell housings.

Well after taking it all apart I found the problem....the pilot bearing came apart.
I have never seen one do this before.....a couple of the bearings were stuck up and blocking the shaft from going into the block.....

I tried taking a couple of photos to see you all but they did not turn out.

:mad:

Well after taking it all apart I found the problem....the pilot bearing came apart.
I have never seen one do this before.....a couple of the bearings were stuck up and blocking the shaft from going into the block.....

I tried taking a couple of photos to see you all but they did not turn out.

:mad:

Good find. At least you know what the problem is, it's fairly simple and you found it now rather than after everything is all bolted together and in the car.

I looked at buying one that a guy had done the conversion. Basically all it is is the same as doing a Head swapped NPI. I believe the 97 is a little lighter so you also gain a performance. Next thing you need after the clutch thing is Ford C Springs. Cheap and great mod that you will love. Handles and actually rides better than Stock. Freaky but true. I had the Monroe Sensa Tracs. Buy the earlier gen Struts/shocks and you will not have a problem with blowing them out. Actually had the SN95 Shock and did not have a problem.