DSS...The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

my experience with dss was very short. i called and talked with them in detail about what i wanted and requested a quote for a nearly complete engine (longblock plus balancer, timing cover, oil pan, etc.....). i waited for a fax for nearly an hour. i called back when it never arrived and requested the quote by e-mail. the answer was along the lines of "i dont have time for that." i was a little bothered but no biggie. i asked him to fax it again to a different fax number just in case the original machine was having a problem. that fax never came either. i never bothered to call back. i cant remember the name of the rep i talked to since i am going back more than a year now but my experience was discouraging to say the least. i have seen great products from them, but my experience (which there is a good chance was isolated incident with someone having a bad day) was enough to make me finalize my order with chp. having a quality product only counts for about 50% with me. the rest is in the customer service before and after the sale.

• Sponsors (?)

It really does suck when you wanna do biz with somebody cause they
have built up a positive rep from doing good biz with many other peeps
but when you attempt to work with them, you get a bunch of negative
junk like has been talked about here.

Its a hard call to know if you should pursue to do biz with them
or
Move over to their competition :shrug:

There can be all kinds of reasons why you might get the run around the
first time but it all boils down to a decision you gotta make.

If the guy puts out a one of a kind product or is considered to be the best
sometimes ...
You gotta investigate to see if things just got started off wrong

Hope you find a good supplier for your new project Rob :D

Grady

my experience with dss was very short. i called and talked with them in detail about what i wanted and requested a quote for a nearly complete engine (longblock plus balancer, timing cover, oil pan, etc.....). i waited for a fax for nearly an hour. i called back when it never arrived and requested the quote by e-mail. the answer was along the lines of "i dont have time for that." i was a little bothered but no biggie. i asked him to fax it again to a different fax number just in case the original machine was having a problem. that fax never came either. i never bothered to call back. i cant remember the name of the rep i talked to since i am going back more than a year now but my experience was discouraging to say the least. i have seen great products from them, but my experience (which there is a good chance was isolated incident with someone having a bad day) was enough to make me finalize my order with chp. having a quality product only counts for about 50% with me. the rest is in the customer service before and after the sale.

ROGER...My experiences were the exact opposite... I waited 3 days for CHP, and the next morning for DSS...And the CHP guy had to keep asking me over and over what I wanted (on all the follow up calls). The DSS guy explained everything also.

BTW....I EMAILED you the CHP quote and I havent heard back from you yet!RC

DSS built my short block in the exact time spec I was told over the phone. Nick was awesome to deal with. He explained anything and everything I needed to do to get my new block going. And because of that, I would definitely buy another from him without a doubt.

If you ever need to get a hold of Nick, all you have to do is call, and they will get him for you. Because I wanted my block shipped to my work, a different address from my credit card, he even walked me through the process of changing my card address temporarily to verify the address and change it back!!
Scott

DSS built my short block in the exact time spec I was told over the phone. Nick was awesome to deal with. He explained anything and everything I needed to do to get my new block going. And because of that, I would definitely buy another from him without a doubt.

If you ever need to get a hold of Nick, all you have to do is call, and they will get him for you. Because I wanted my block shipped to my work, a different address from my credit card, he even walked me through the process of changing my card address temporarily to verify the address and change it back!!
Scott

Scott...It just so happens that NICK IS the rep that helped me...he really seemed like he knew WTH he was doing.... There's gotta be a way to talk his price quote down $500 or more.

Thanks
RC

ROGER...My experiences were the exact opposite... I waited 3 days for CHP, and the next morning for DSS...And the CHP guy had to keep asking me over and over what I wanted (on all the follow up calls). The DSS guy explained everything also.

BTW....I EMAILED you the CHP quote and I havent heard back from you yet!RC
http://roger.tiora.net/mustang/Roger.pdf

that was one of my original quotes. the order that i placed with them in january of 06 had the addition of the forged crank, lightweight i-beam rods, and an aluminum romac. it brought my final build price to about $500 or so more than what you can see in that quote. the price they gave you looks good especially since yours is coming more complete (i see you are getting the flex plate) than mine did.

the bottom line is no matter what company you deal with, the stories are going to be of the "good, bad, and ugly" type. as a company, a few bad transactions are inevitable. its just a part of business. what is important is the experience you get when YOU call seeking assistance.

I gave Mark my number at CHP to discuss the unsatisfactory service with the rep.

We will se if he wants the sale by whether or not he calls.

Quick Question for now though: On my DSS quote...I got a charge for upgrading the springs/retainer on the AFR 185's...Is that a necessary charge, and is that part of CHP's price already?

Thanks
RC

I figured
a.) its the meds/pain killers
b.) his keyboard is busted from all the posting he has done in the last few weeks.

I have always hear people upgrading the TFS and AFR spings from there std. offerings.

Howcome we have the same Join date, but you have a "founding member" next to your name? :scratch:

I guess I will have to check if the AFR's head had upgraded springs.

ROGER: DID YOU GET YOURS w/ UPGRADE SPRINGS???

RC

Howcome we have the same Join date, but you have a "founding member" next to your name? :scratch:

I guess I will have to check if the AFR's head had upgraded springs.

ROGER: DID YOU GET YOURS w/ UPGRADE SPRINGS???

RC
i didnt. i decided it wasnt a necessity for me at this point. and you would have founding member if you didnt have the custom title...notice how your username is in red?

Scott...It just so happens that NICK IS the rep that helped me...he really seemed like he knew WTH he was doing.... There's gotta be a way to talk his price quote down $500 or more.

Thanks
RC

To be honest, I think you need to e-mail the quote you got from CHP to nick at dss, and ask him what is the difference between the 2 quotes that necessitates the extra money.

I am sure either A) The DSS quote has a better engine, or B) CHP is not including some of the charges.

But if Nick can't give you a good answer, or knock the price down, I would just buy from CHP and be done with it. Many have had good luck with CHP; I think you will be happy with whomever you order.
Scott