Dyno numbers in! - SCT = thumbs up!

Mustang92 said:
I’ll probably take some shots for saying this but dynos are really a tuning tool not a “how big is my pecker” meter. LK’s numbers are high no doubt but of all the dynos out there the Mustang Dyno is the easiest to manipulate the numbers with. Not that I think he or anyone else would do this on purpose but if one parameter or setting is done incorrectly then it’s hard to compare numbers from one car to another unless it’s on the same dyno because there can be way too much variance.

I’ve known LK from other boards and he is not one to post up BS just for attention. His old car was fast and backed up the ETs with proof and I don’t doubt he’s truthful here. Best thing he can do is hit the track with the new power and see what it does.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Like I said before I am new to this Dyno stuff... and you make absolute sense when saying Dynos can't be used to measure 'how big my pecker is'. I guess the ruler changes size depending which one it is when it comes to Dynometers... and that's to bad. I guess if a bunch of boys would go out on a Dyno day it would be possible to compare relative WHP, and that could be good, but for the time being I'll let the timeslips do the talking.

13.3@102 with radial tires, exaust, pullies and ECU... here I come.

• Sponsors (?)

Honesly who really cares that much to sit here and argue about it? He got those numbers they could be wrong they could be right. He didnt personaly run the dyno so asicly know one know. any ways good numbers and nice time!

My 2000 GT has ran a best of 13.5 flat before my ATI. my best trap speed was 102 but usually ran about 100 - 101. My 60 ft times usually were about 1.9 but I had run as low as 1.8 almost flat. On an absalutely perfect run I think I maybe could have run in the 13.4 range based on the fact that my best 60 ft times werent when I ran my lowest ets. My car dynoed at the rear wheels @ 249hp and 288 trq. My mods were:

70 mm BBK throttle body that was ported and polished
Ported and Polished Plenum
March Underdrive Pullies
March Ram Air Kit
Custom Superchip
3.73 Gears
Ford Motor Sport Shorty Headers
Dr. Gas X Pipe
Full Flowmaster with no cats

I NEVER HAD A CUSTOM DYNO TUNE DONE ON THE CAR. I GOT THOSE NUMBERS WHEN THEY DID THE BASELINE ON MY CAR BEFORE THEY ADDED THE BLOWER.

z28killer said:
My 2000 GT has ran a best of 13.5 flat before my ATI. my best trap speed was 102 but usually ran about 100 - 101. My 60 ft times usually were about 1.9 but I had run as low as 1.8 almost flat. On an absalutely perfect run I think I maybe could have run in the 13.4 range based on the fact that my best 60 ft times werent when I ran my lowest ets. My car dynoed at the rear wheels @ 249hp and 288 trq. My mods were:

70 mm BBK throttle body that was ported and polished
Ported and Polished Plenum
March Underdrive Pullies
March Ram Air Kit
Custom Superchip
3.73 Gears
Ford Motor Sport Shorty Headers
Dr. Gas X Pipe
Full Flowmaster with no cats

I NEVER HAD A CUSTOM DYNO TUNE DONE ON THE CAR. I GOT THOSE NUMBERS WHEN THEY DID THE BASELINE ON MY CAR BEFORE THEY ADDED THE BLOWER.

Interesting.

Zinc001 said:
LizardKing 2002 said:
Ok. Simple 2 questions.
3. Does my Dyno tech need to take in account the 3.73 gears which don't give a direct 1:1 ratio in fourth?
QUOTE]
Yes!!! If he had you set for 3.27's and you have 3.73's. The whole thing will be right out to lunch.

No, you do not "set" a dyno for different gears!!!!! It does not matter what your gearing is. Horsepower is a measure of work over time. Gears don't change this. Gears don't add horsepower and nor will it trick the dyno into thinking you have.

bennyjammin said:
No, you do not "set" a dyno for different gears!!!!! It does not matter what your gearing is. Horsepower is a measure of work over time. Gears don't change this. Gears don't add horsepower and nor will it trick the dyno into thinking you have.

I don't know the effect of gears on a dyno, but ever run I've done or seen had that as a factor in the run.

bennyjammin said:

Thank you. This is what I thought. It can figure according to the SPEED and the time it takes to accelerate all what is necessary to output HP.

How has this thread gone on this long without noticing LizardKing's location?

He is putting down 271CRWHP (Canadian Rear Wheel Horse Power) which if my math is correct, translates into 253RWHP. So everybody just settle down.

:D

Nice numbers and 1/4 times. :nice:

i'll just give you one more little thing LK. my car bone stock on a mustang dyno put down 206 rwhp (maybe 208 i can't remember exactly). but what bill said is completely on the money. the people that know what they are doing on those things can make the "read" higher if they want to. or it could have beena screw up. the guy from mustang dyno, who was installing & setting up the dyno, warned my shop of that. he told them how they could get it to read higher, when they were installing it. so it definately can be done :nice:

Guys maybe I can add alittle here also . I own a Mustang Dyno and also am a SCT tuner. my MD250 does not allow me to turn off the load cell, but what I have done was check with another local shop with a new Dynojet to get a conversion factor for my customers , My MD is 20% lower than a Dynojet. I can tell you the average mildly modified GT will pull 220 or so On my MD and then 260 rw at the dynojet . the conversion we have is within 5hp on cars ranging at 200 rwhp all the way up to 700 rwhp. the dyno will use the inputed Hp @ 50rpm and the weight to load, but from testing on the shop car at 600 hp at the time using a weight of 2500 , 3500, 4500 I did only see about a 5 - 7 rwhp difference.
The way I factor my conversions for our dyno is 20 % difference on a Dynojet and 30 % at the crank. remember all dyno's are different and also there are a few Mustang Dyno 1750 models that will allow the Load cell and brake to be shut off and will give dynojet like numbers. but to have a Mustang Dyno number also means this is what you see on the road and the track , to have a dynojet number is to think of your car spinning on jackstands. A dyno is a very good tool , but a car owners worst nightmare , I cannot tell you how many people walk away totally depressed.
any questions on the Mustang Dyno please feel free to call me or email me , I will love to talk to you guys about dynoing and tuning
Don