E85 conversion

• Sponsors (?)

E85 can eat certain types of O-rings found in the fuel system.
E85 has 33% less energy per volume compared to gas. So, you need more fuel, bigger injectors, and less miles per gallon.
E85 also absorbs moisture so it can cause problems with level sender and fuel pumps over time.

Considering all cars since '86 have parts designed for 10% Ethanol and everything is over engineered I would not worry about a fuel injection engine having a problem. My car is flex fuel. I run E85 then if I need any regular grade of gas I just change my PMS to another setting. A lot about E85 that people quote is made up by people that have nothing to really say but want to be part of the topic. LOL

Considering all cars since '86 have parts designed for 10% Ethanol and everything is over engineered I would not worry about a fuel injection engine having a problem. My car is flex fuel. I run E85 then if I need any regular grade of gas I just change my PMS to another setting. A lot about E85 that people quote is made up by people that have nothing to really say but want to be part of the topic. LOL

dude what kind of car you have? what you mean by changing the setting on your PMS? don't thy change the setting automatically when senses the fuel?I don't have to change anything on my merq...

this guy is running E85, 427W w/ TWIN 78's
SEMA6-1.jpg

sema10-1.jpg

SEMADYNOSHEET.jpg

only problem is he was running an Accel pump on it @ 840 lbs/hr and at about 1250 rwhp it was starving the engine. So a friend let him try his Weldon 2035 (200 glns/hr) same thing at 1250. Hooked up both of them and no issues. He will probably have upgrade to a belt drive pump this winter. (all this cuz it takes about 30% more fuel)
160 lb/hr injectors:eek:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/75f2f38e-0d76-4a00-9187-99da004fbda6.htm

Attachments

• SEMA6-1.jpg
    SEMA6-1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sema10-1.jpg
    sema10-1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 67
  • SEMADYNOSHEET.jpg
    SEMADYNOSHEET.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 66
I am running a '89 and use the EFI Systems(PMS) to manually select what fuel I am using. Under E85 it varies on the rpm but I am only adding 12-20% with 42lb injectors and make 535whp @ 6100rpm and under 91-93 octane I am at 465whp @ 5800 rpm at only 10psi. I still get 19mpg mixed driving and on the highway it is common to see 24+mpg. I use the car 450 miles a week during the driving season and getting E85 is easy since Kroger Foods carries it at 80% of the fuel stations. If no E85 I just click a button and run what ever octane is available.