EGR Valve Symptoms

88-GT

Oct 8, 2004
Kinda in an akward situation as Im doing some work to my car over winter so I cannot really check for results. So far I rebuilt/cleaned all of my injectors and decided to change out ALL of the vacuum lines. In the process I noticed I had a huge hole melted in the line that goes right to the EGR valve, big enough that I cant see the EGR opening at all.

Would this cause any major noticable symptoms while running? I was having a lot of hesitation problems, could this be the cause? THnx for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

The EGR would affect part throttle and cruise performance. If the vac line from the EVR had the hole, the valve would not actuate. This can lead to part throttle pinging.

If the actual feed hose has the hole, the same symptom could show up to some degree. The puter would expect a greater charge of exhaust gasses than are being delivered.

good luck.

Alrite, but what I am saying is that EGR would not have been oprning with the size of whole it had in it. The whole was bigger that the ID of the vacuum tube. I was only having problems at part throttle, almost felt like it was pulling timing, sometime to the effect of a pop in the header. Any of this help to further narrow it down?

Yeah, no vac signal would keep the EGR from opening, just like we both said. And it would only affect you at part throttle. You would actually be running too much timing and too little fuel. This can lead to detonation or a lean misfire I suppose.