Electric Fan Install

Ok, I have searched through the forums and read how some others have done this, but was wondering if this would work. I have a dual fan setup with a automatic fan controller unit. It has a temp sensor that needs to be installed in a 3/8" NPT port. I have looked around and I dont seem to have an extra one. I have a GT40 intake with a mechanical tempurature guage. I bought a T-Fitting thinking that the water pressure may push the water up into the fitting causing the two sensors to heat up. I guess I was wrong. I ran the car and the temp guage never registered and the fans never came on. It seemed that the car was operating correctly since the top hose and radiator became hot.

Here's a picture of what I did.
T-Fitting.jpg

Now, should this work, or do I just need to relocate this into another 3/8 port or do the heater fitting/bypass.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender or temp switch/temp sensor for an electric fan.

This will allow you to keep the stock gauge for looks. Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php

Keep in mind that the capillary tube on mechanical temp gauges cannot be cut, shorted severely kinked or damaged in any way. It is one piece from the gauge to the temp bulb that goes in the engine coolant.

You main challenge will be getting the wiring or capillary tube through the firewall. Do not use the steering column exit path for any wiring or gauge plumbing. Make sure you seal any hole you drill in the firewall with high temp red silicone sealer.

You can also get a new water neck with an extra 3/8" npt port in it. I've heard mixed things on whether or not locating a temp sensor there yields an accurate reading. I'm sure someone will chime in.

It will be fine for a fan switch (NOT for a gauge).

And the probe needs to be suscepted to the flow of fluid, not be across the stream or an impediment to flow. Don't sweat probe's displacement into the cross-flow plane too much. You just don't want a deadhead (as you found out) because coolant stagnates in the alcove you created, nor do you want the probe to sit super-recessed into its leg of the Tee.

Does the Tee need to be copper? Do you think I could use brass instead?
Also, the fan sensor I have does not have a very long nipple (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch). Im assuming I need to try and get that into the water stream.

Copper or brass will be Ok. The best results will be if you get the sensor in the coolant flow.

I got a copper tee from Home Depot and threaded the top hole 3/8 NPT, screwed the sensor in as far as I could and split the supply heater hose in the middle and clamped the tee in between the halves last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens tonight. The only problem I have with testing, etc, is my car has 1 chamber mufflers on it and I dont get home till almost 7 PM most nights, I hate to crank it and wake the neighbors.