Electric fan question

Caseyfoureyes

Feb 4, 2009
I'm considering an electric fan for my 306. I like the Flex-a-lite 185 extreme because it only draws 18 amps while pulling 3300 cfm. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions??
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Never had a problem with flex-a-lite, plus they flow about 500 cfm more than their competitors, but they draw about 5A more current.

Just be forwarned that if your running a "stock amperage" alternator that your adding 18A of current to an already anemic charging system.

Electric fan = 3G alternator if you want long life & reliability from your car.
The electric fan saves some HP. The stock fan's parasitic drag runs from 7-12 HP depending on who you talk to. The electric fan uses about 1/2 HP of power from the electrical system.

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps

That's grand total of 74 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

I use the Taurus Fan, picked it up off ebay in excellent condition for around 80 bucks. It out performs any after market fan for less cost. I tried a black magic fan and kept overheating, now I'm nice and cool. I would also suggest a 130 amp alt also as others have posted already.

The Mark VIII fan is excellent also. Check ebay for Taurus or MarkVII fans if your curious.

Just becareful with which fan you go with if you have an aftermarket aluminum radiator. I have a PWR Rad, and I had a Lincoln Mark VIII Fan that was trimmed down but it didnt fit due to the thickness of the radiator.

I use a Flex a lite fan with a elec thermo on it. I believe the fan is for a CJ7. I also upgraded the waterpump to an edlebrock as well as the Alt. dont have any issues.

I had the Black tragic fan, junk..... Car ran hot and couldnt out the A/C on-otherwise-You'd sit and watch the needle climb uncontrollably. I liked the looks of the newer Flex-a-lite Extreme, Really nice shroud and all, But after having the MKVIII fan, i dont think i would ever swap for anything less. So-My vote is MKviii all the way. if mine ever dided-Than i would try the extreme. Just for reference, The Blck Tragic fan 165 stated 2200CFM, the Extreme states 3300CFM, and the MKviii on high is 4100CFM... The Dodge viper fan is 4300CFM, but you will have major shroud prob's....\
Hoep this helps, Anthony