eliminating center console

• Sponsors (?)

i am making a mclaren t-top version out of my 88 ,asc meant to do one in the eighties and never went through with it.mine will definately be one of a kind i have the center console and armrests and for the seats i am fixing up some 79 recaros

i sanded my center console out smooth and basecoat/cleared it same color as the car - wetsanded smooth as glass. I tell you it took about 5hrs total labor but it was worth it. All of the pics I took do not do justice, but it is worth the effort if done right!

like I said - pics do not do justice. It literally looks as if the entire console has been made from fiberglass. ......I filled in the ashtray. Think of it as a tribute to all non-functional ashtrays!!!!

(also pic was taken the day I brought my car back from the spray booth- carpet etc was cleaned since obv)

attachment.php

Blown 5.0, that looks awesome. I've thought of doing that in the past but never put too much thought into it. I like it! :nice: What do you think of its looks where the smoothed-out parts match up to the stock un-smooth parts? Is it a huge contrast or what?

well its funny you say that. To put it in a way you can relate... Once you polished one thing, you start polishing everything. If it wasnt too much work, Id love to paint all of my plastic (dash etc). My arch nemisis is DUST. Mostly because its black (with blue pearl oOoOoOOOoO). But because it would take days to finish sanding and painting, and endless hours of upkeep.... I think I will stick with the console, its a nice accent feature and really goes well with the car.

In reality, I think I will take off the lower dash panels (glove box and under steering column/fuse panel cover) and paint those to match as well. That will create a better contrast of colors as the dash pad will break up the colors well. Of course, getting the engine finished is priority!!! I got a complete black interior for a real good price and considered converting, but the $$$$ return was too much to resist!!! ( I still have rear hatch 1/4s if anyone is interested MINT haha) But yea, gray is my 2nd fav to black.....

like I said - pics do not do justice. It literally looks as if the entire console has been made from fiberglass. ......I filled in the ashtray. Think of it as a tribute to all non-functional ashtrays!!!!

(also pic was taken the day I brought my car back from the spray booth- carpet etc was cleaned since obv)

attachment.php

FOCK! You could make a killing if you were to make and sell those, just here alone! That looks awesome. :nice:

you know it crossed my mind.... but Id have to sell them at a premium price to make it worth while...and to be honest I have my own projects!! But I posted to get the idea out there- I think other colors would be great!!!! My only advice is take your time sanding. Too coarse will make scratches stand out, too fine and you will never get the wrinkled finish off. I used a DA for the bulk and finished with finer grits. primed and guide coated... wetsanded prior to base and after clear. Simply amazing!!

Finished product- maybe best pic i have(?)

attachment.php

Man that looks great! I tried experimenting with fiberglass on the dash in my pontiac and it came out ok but not as good as that. Just painting interior pieces has never really been my thing, it takes a lot of patience.

Here was my little project on the pontiac

Before Dash

Picture039-1.jpg

After

dashpod003.jpg

My biggest problem was trying to keep the paint from chipping or scratching. Do you have any problems like that?

I think the black dash came out good TJ, but looking at the interior, what else is black so that it works with the rest? Maybe paint the glove box and the door armrests or something. Maybe the upper part of the center console that goes aroung the shifter and meets up with the dash. Anyways, looks cool.