Exhaust from one tailpipe smells of coolant.

DanG

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2000
Maryland
As some of you may notice, I've been posting quite a bit on here lately, as I am just getting back in the mustang scene from years off, and am running down a few issues along the way. Many thanks to those who have assisted me with the issues I've run into thus far. :)

I've been noticing the passenger side of the exhaust has a faint smell of coolant after I turn the motor off, however the drivers side does not. I have no white smoke coming from the exhaust, although there is a little condensation each time I start up the car, with a small amount of pure water dripping from the tail pipes, for the first few seconds the motor is running. This definitely is not coolant, and is clear with no apparent scent.
At this point, I am not losing any coolant from the radiator nor from the overflow reservoir. When I pulled the radiator cap and allowed the car to run for a while, I am not seeing any bubbles forming, and the oil looks clean of coolant with no milky white residue. ( albeit getting fuel saturated as the car is running pig rich ). In addition, the plugs on that side of the motor all show an indication of being rich with some black soot around the electrodes.

My question is, I'm running MLS head gaskets with ARP studs. Is there a possibility or a need for me to re-torque the head studs, as this motor is fairly new with only 300 miles on it? The head studs were never re-torqued after initial fire-up.
I was thinking that perhaps it wouldn't hurt to make sure the torque settings on the lower intake bolts as well as each head stud are correct. I suppose it's possible I am weeping a little coolant under boost? I'm thinking there has to be some sort of leak or else the one tail pipe wouldn't have a faint smell of coolant. Although I'm running a MAC Prochamber, so the exhaust gases circulate into a chamber in the mid pipe, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense why one pipe smells and the other does not.
I'm seeing about 10psi at 5800rpm, where the car apparently made 11:1 A/F ratio on a load based dyno. 5800 is also the absolute highest I've revved this motor.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Pulled the plugs today and didn't see anything essentially out of the ordinary. Most of the plugs are black around the edges, firing ends are all grey with a tiny bit of brown. They looked just like the NGK normal plug. ( Thanks toyman ) I also did not smell or see any evident signs of coolant.

I also drained the oil today and there is no evident signs of coolant contamination. My next steps may be to run compression tests, and then retorque some of the lower intake bolts and head stud nuts if compression tests come out ok.