Explorer Intake Questions. GT vs. Cobra vs. Explorer stock comparision

squall9393

Feb 7, 2004
Oceanside, CA
Anyone know if the Explorer Intakes flow better over the Cobra ones? What years did the Explorers have FI 302s in them that utilized intakes that can be used to swap our cars intakes with? On another note was there anything else stock in the 5.0L Explorers that was better than the stock counterparts in the GTs and/or Cobras besides the intakes?

Thanks in advance guys!

Jarrod

• Sponsors (?)

On another note was there anything else stock in the 5.0L Explorers that was better than the stock counterparts in the GTs and/or Cobras besides the intakes?
The Explorer heads GT40p heads are better that the stock e7 not sure if they are better than the cobras GT40 heads. If you want real detailed info on the intakes you should pm tmosshe is very knowledgeable on this subject.

yeah, i have an explorer motor. Basically the explorer intake is very similar to the cobra, it uses the staggered round lower, same as the cobra, gt40,etc. The upper also basically flows as whell as the cobra. Looking at the stock intake vs the exploere, it is so much bigger. also, the gt40p heads are much better than the gt40's, although not as good as aluminum heads, due to much better valve placement, sparkplug placement, and ports. The p's were basically ford;s last design change for the five o.

intake5.jpg

Great info guys. Love that chart you pulled up 95snoozer. :nice: Basically what i'm looking to do is pull some stock stuff off a junker for a cheap temporary bolt on until aluminum heads and a larger flowing intake become practical for me. Did Ford performance parts ever come stock in any vehicles? Since GT-40 and GT-40p are differnent then what came in the explorer? What year did Ford put these parts in the Explorer? Judging by the chart it seems GT-40 Ford performance parts made the most low end torque so obviously I'd wanna go for that but did it come stock in a vehicle such as the Explorer in any production year so I can pull it from a junker?

GT-40 heads/intake came stock on the 93-95 lighting pickups. But good like trying to find one of those in the junk yard that hasnt been ran through like a cheap hooker. I'd say look for an explorer. The performance gains seem to be mininmal and you have a lot better chance finding one of those. Or you could have Tmoss port a stock 94-95 gt lower for you. He told me it should flow close to a stock Cobra or Explorer and he does it for $150.00 shipped. Just a thought.

Along the lines of what was said above...I can vouch for the stock Tmoss ported lower...I dyno'd with one and then swapped to the Fox/93 Cobra...I gained 10 ponies in the swap...The stock lower pulled more TQ than the Cobra....i was surprised at that....lost around 15 lbs TQ...

I run STG2 Thumpers to and a mild Steeda 19....262RWHP....I have like 70HP over stock...got like 1k in parts....Not to shabby...302/302 HP...Not exactly hi-dollar but its a hoot to drive...I ran mid 13s last year(with the Tmoss stock lower)...hopeful to hit some 12s this year with some gears and the new intake set-up....the top end seems way stronger....easier said then done.... :bang: we shall see...

I aslo ran the Explorer set-up for 2 months...never did get any numbers on it..

Im the Ford intake swap king...tryed em all but the GT40 Tubular..my advice if your gonna go a Ford intake....scam a gt40 lower first...then choose one of the uppers you like....They are all damn near equal when Tmoss does his voodoo to em....My GT40 lower was worked over by him to...

Tmoss stock lower...
plauqe_3.jpg

96 Explorer...
ex_pt7.jpg

93 Cobra/Fox set-up...
blk_vcs_5.jpg

96 have regular gt40s BUT with a bigger combustion chamber so you will be hurting compression.

97-01 have the p heads

94-95 lighnings have the gt40 upper but you will need a 302 gt40 lower off a 96+ explorer

its not use doing that just get a tmoss ported lower and port match your explorer upper to the lower... cllean up the casting flash. It makes a great sleeper intake

MAC long tube swill work as will BBK. Get long tubes!

95snoozer said:
96 have regular gt40s BUT with a bigger combustion chamber so you will be hurting compression.

97-01 have the p heads
So did Ford create a head with a smaller combustion chamber when they went to the GT-40P heads on 97 and up 5.0s?

I have to stay California legal so is there a company that sells headers that can fit the GT-40Ps and not sacrifice spark plug access? I can't exactly use long tubes in Cali. I'm guessing my BBK E/L shorties will make it a mother to get to the plugs.