Explorer Intake Questions. GT vs. Cobra vs. Explorer stock comparision

• Sponsors (?)

GreenMustangGt said:
yeah im serious, you will not eb able to get to the plugs, part of why they make more power is due to where the plug placement is.
In- "freakin"- credible! How the hell did they get passed that? Is that when Ford started doing things to vehicles to where you had to get it done at the dealership instead of doing it yourself? Are there headers that can be used to allow spark plug access? That is about as bad but not quite as severe as my buddies Mark VIII. Has a 4.6L Cobra engine and he can't even see the plugs. They're like internal to the heads or something or in the valve cover :shrug:

My friend has a 4.6 liter and the spark plug change on his is cake. Dont know if his is the same as the cobra but we did the whole thing in like 1/2 and hour. They're right on top of the valve covers. It was much simplier than mine it.

squall9393 said:
In- "freakin"- credible! How the hell did they get passed that? Is that when Ford started doing things to vehicles to where you had to get it done at the dealership instead of doing it yourself? Are there headers that can be used to allow spark plug access? That is about as bad but not quite as severe as my buddies Mark VIII. Has a 4.6L Cobra engine and he can't even see the plugs. They're like internal to the heads or something or in the valve cover :shrug:
No the gt40p didn't come on the stangs only the explorers. The explorers have headers that allow access to the plugs. When you put those heads on a mustang with out putting headers(shortys) specifically for gt40pheads is when you will not be able to pull the plugs out with out removing the headers. As long as you put headers (shortys) specifically for gt40p heads your good. All long tubes work with these heads.

squall9393 said:
So did Ford create a head with a smaller combustion chamber when they went to the GT-40P heads on 97 and up 5.0s?

I have to stay California legal so is there a company that sells headers that can fit the GT-40Ps and not sacrifice spark plug access? I can't exactly use long tubes in Cali. I'm guessing my BBK E/L shorties will make it a mother to get to the plugs.

the gt40Ps have a 58-59 cc combustion chamber. your compression will be in the mid 9s... a plus to having these heads. :nice:

they were designed with torque and gas mileage emissions in mind in order for ford to continue to be allowed by the epa to run the 5.0 so its a better amnd more MPG efficient head than the stock head, so in theory you should be better off than with the e7s

why cant you run BBK long tubes? you can run bbk LTs with a catted H or X

just lean out your car before you go in for testing.

95snoozer said:
the gt40Ps have a 58-59 cc combustion chamber. your compression will be in the mid 9s... a plus to having these heads. :nice:

they were designed with torque and gas mileage emissions in mind in order for ford to continue to be allowed by the epa to run the 5.0 so its a better amnd more MPG efficient head than the stock head, so in theory you should be better off than with the e7s

why cant you run BBK long tubes? you can run bbk LTs with a catted H or X

just lean out your car before you go in for testing.
Have to go with a second opinion on that one. Heard that it's a mother to try and pass with long tubes cuz the O2s don't heat up and control the emissions. How do you "lean out" anyhow? Do i have to get a shorter X pipe to match the longer tubes on the headers then?

the area under the curve you gain is well worth the LTs

LTs do run richer at idle BUT

you lean out by setting initial higher and fuel pressure lower.

be sure to not drive hard like this and set it right back

you would need a shorter x .... some people have had their exhisting BBK x rewelded shorter.

you can get an ORX too and you can switch out back and forwarth. it takes 15 minutes and you will gain the extra power and still pass emissions

95snoozer said:
the area under the curve you gain is well worth the LTs

LTs do run richer at idle BUT

you lean out by setting initial higher and fuel pressure lower.

be sure to not drive hard like this and set it right back

you would need a shorter x .... some people have had their exhisting BBK x rewelded shorter.

you can get an ORX too and you can switch out back and forwarth. it takes 15 minutes and you will gain the extra power and still pass emissions
Screw it. I don't have my car registered in Cali and I only have to do Cali emissions once so i can get my car on base so... screw it I'll just ignore the emission crap after i do my one inspection to get my base decal. :D