Fake Gas Cap Removal ??

Casey4s

Sep 1, 2007
Woodbridge, VA
I am replacing the magnetic rear black out panel with the CDC one that eliminates the fake gas cap. I will get it next week I guess so I wanted to get the old cap off while I am waiting.

Is there a prefered method or a link on removing that cap?

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

I used a heat gun to pre heat the cap and then it just pulled off. You will need some 3M adhesive remover to help remove the glue after the cap is off.

I used a plastic spatula from the kitchen, one that had a good sharp leading edge and fairly heavy duty (used plastic to avoid scratches). Worked it in from the outside edges all the way around the cap and then was able to get it to come off with a litte prying/pulling. Heat would definately be beneficial and as stated above, some sort of adhesive remover. Good Luck!:nice:

I used fishing line as well. Tried dental floss first, way too fragile. Be patient and remember there are two centering pins in the badge / fake cap. You can't saw through those with fishing line. Just saw around from the outside to near the middle, top, bottom, both sides and you'll be able to pry it off easily without scratching any paint. You will need some adhesive remover, it's pretty sticky residue.

I got the cap off this morning in just a few minutes. I used a heat gun and the string (I had no fishing line) and it was a breeze. I finally got rid of that ugly fake cap and replaced the magnet black out with tis CDC one. took me fifteen minutes.

Thanks to every one who helped with suggestions. :nice:

OK, here's some pics of the completed install.

What custom look does everyone here like best of the 5 photos below?

Plain...
002.jpg

With GT emblem center
004.jpg

GT Emblem, lower right
006.jpg

Big running pony center
008.jpg

Small running pony lower right.
015.jpg