Few Questions/Concerns

Funhog

Mar 30, 2005
Alabama
Recently when I start my car the check oil light will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. It doesnt do it all the time but it has got me guessing. I checked the dip stick and the oil is actually passed the add fill by a lot. The oil on the stick is a pinkish/redish and it seems real watery. The oil was changed not even a year ago and Mobil 1 syn was put in. I can smell the oil when the car is running.

Also when I start my car the voltage just drops and my car sounds like it is going to die. Again, it does not do it all the time. It stops once I put the car in gear. I never run my A/C or heater, I just listen to the stock radio. I am thinking the belt may be loose or perhaps I need new spark plugs or something. Who knows, I am an idiot when it comes to cars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

I am not being rude so please don't take this the wrong way. I think you were checking the tranny fluid...it is reddish/pinkish. btw how many miles you put on this car...just asking because you said the oil was changed not even a year ago. oil should be changed every 3,000 miles. you probably have an oil leak is why you smell oil and the light is probably because it has leaked out (thats my bet). or the sensor could be bad.

First question. Your low oil sensor could be messed up. Are you checking the oil at operating temp. or is the engine stone cold (like from sitting all night). The coloring sounds off for synthetic and the watery part is bad. If your car sits quite a bit, you should change it more frequently than annually. If you can smell the oil when the car is running, either you have a leak or the oil is too full and is pushing its way out. Regarding the second concern with the idle, check the idle issue sticky at the top for tips. I'd suspect it was more related to the electronic engine controls vs. the plugs or belt, otherwise it would do it all the time.

bubba-dough said:
I am not being rude so please don't take this the wrong way. I think you were checking the tranny fluid...it is reddish/pinkish. btw how many miles you put on this car...just asking because you said the oil was changed not even a year ago. oil should be changed every 3,000 miles. you probably have an oil leak is why you smell oil and the light is probably because it has leaked out (thats my bet). or the sensor could be bad.
You beat me. Where in this great state of corn and overweight women are you?

I would just change the oil. I generally don't change my synthetic but about every 5000 miles or so, but that's me. It's been proven to last for 25,000 miles, some change it every 10,000 and just change the filter every 3000 or whatever.

Also, you should note that the stock dipstick is wrong. For whatever reason, "full" is actually like a quart low. You should change the oil and let it all drain down into the motor for an hour or something and go out before you start it and pull the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in, pull it back out and scrape the dipstick where the oil is. BTW, the stock 5.0 takes 5 quarts and I use the motorcraft filter.

TheUser is right in that you need to calibrate your dipstick yourself. They are not known for their accuracy when they leave the Ford lines.

When you say the oil is watery what do you mean? Is it thin and runny, but still looks like engine oil, even if it is black? Or, is it kinda milky and creamy looking? The latter would suggest coolant in the oil, most likely from a head/intake gasket. How does the coolant look/smell? If it smells like oil/exhaust there are issues. Do you remember the weight of oil used when the change was done?

I know you came here looking for answers and not more questions, but more info seems to be needed.

Good Luck
jason

Pull the diagnostic codes to determine why the check engine light is coming on.

With your next oil/filter change ignore the dipstick and put 5.0 qts. in. Once you've driven it a bit, let it cool completely off and pull the dipstick. Where ever the oil hits on the stick is YOUR engine's FULL mark. Use a file to re-mark the stick if the factory marks aren't accurate. They could be high or low.